Sign in to follow this  
krnau

back of the car sitting lower with eibachs. fixed

Hi, I had some eibach springs installed in my corrado and fronts have lowered the car something like 25mm , but the rears have left the arches almost in contact with rear wheels (brock b1's 9"x16) :nuts:, giving a total lowering of 6cm!

the fix:

-koni rear dampers +2cm

-new rear top mounts... let's say 0.5cm

-by rotating the spring isolator (nr. 12 in the pic) something like 0.5cm can be lifted

-chopped front top mounts, installed between rear lower spring plate (nr. 6 in the pic) and the spring itself (nr. 1). they have been chopped horizontally) in order to lift about 1.5cm

download/file.php?id=71703&mode=view

so now, it is all leveled. thanks to all who helped me :clap:

It's an old problem with eibach springs, my valver used to sit lower at the back on them too, I tried front lowering top spring plates and although it sat nicely the front wishbones were slightly above level, so I removed them.

In the end I solved it with some koni rear dampers, the kind with the grooves machined for adjusting the spring bottom plates.

I did end up having another groove machined in them to raise them slightly higher than the maximum setting out of the box, car sits lovely and level now.

take them back if you can......much easier to buy another set than mince around trying to make them fit right.

take them back if you can......much easier to buy another set than mince around trying to make them fit right.

Thats the trouble I think they are right....

Unless you mean get a different brand of springs? Which is what I would do as the Eibachs are way too HARSH :grin:

yeah i mean different brand. my opinion of eibach isnt great, i worked next door for 18 months.

although its not the greatest solution you can chop your original springs and get saving for coilovers!!

get saving for coilovers!!

Do it. Its the only way when you're running 9s etc..

hi, thank you all for your replies :)

I purchased the springs directly from germany, and they are already in my car so getting them back to factory is impossible ATM :(

I can't use coilovers because spanish MOT is a real crap. i.e., only eibach springs are permitted :(

I will upload pics later when I manage to transfer them from my mobile phone to the computer , so you can see..

Ah, didnt clock your'e in spain.

Do you not have mot places with the 'saturday price' in spain? Must be a few spanish forums with people running coilovers, im sure they would share the knowledge of getting it through.

yes, coilovers are allowed... however, you have to pay to an "industrial engineer" to "confirm" they are ok for the corrado (and this, in money, is about 200 pounds :shock: :shock: ).

spain is pain...

Bugger, if spain likes the german engineering how does tuv approved sit in the arguement?

bugger. im fresh out of ideas im afraid.

maybe gwerks might have a trick or two. worth an ask.

and putting some kind of plate or spacer under the rear springs? :nuts:

as I said about Koni dampers, they have adjustable rear spring baseplates, original VW rear dampers often have the same design, i.e. a groove machined in the damper body and a circlip fitted into that which the baseplate sits on, so you could get a VW damper machined with a groove a little higher up. The only difference from standard would then be the small (original) groove visible below the new position of the spring baseplate which you could even hide with a bit of underseal :wink:

Pack it....Maybe??? Spring cups are normally something to leave alone, if the spring pops out, while your driving its similar to a blowout. Your car though.

as I said about Koni dampers, they have adjustable rear spring baseplates, original VW rear dampers often have the same design, i.e. a groove machined in the damper body and a circlip fitted into that which the baseplate sits on, so you could get a VW damper machined with a groove a little higher up. The only difference from standard would then be the small (original) groove visible below the new position of the spring baseplate which you could even hide with a bit of underseal :wink:

Have i got these grooves on my Koni TA dampers? How big are the increments? I wouldnt mind increasing the height of the rear by a cm...

Have i got these grooves on my Koni TA dampers? How big are the increments? I wouldnt mind increasing the height of the rear by a cm...

yes you will have leonard. I think there's about 10mm between each of the 3 grooves, 30mm from top to bottom - AFAIK. I got a pair of sniped nose pliers between the cap in the circlip and prised them apart until i could get part of the circlip out of the groove. Then pushed all around the circlip until it was on the next groove - fiddly job.

yes you will have leonard. I think there's about 10mm between each of the 3 grooves, 30mm from top to bottom - AFAIK. I got a pair of sniped nose pliers between the cap in the circlip and prised them apart until i could get part of the circlip out of the groove. Then pushed all around the circlip until it was on the next groove - fiddly job.

Brilliant that is really good news.

I will have a look at doing it myself or failing that have to get someone to do it for me.

Thanks for info

Matt

and putting some kind of plate or spacer under the rear springs? :nuts:

:shock: could you post a pic of it? It is hard for me to understand it, sorry :(

where the blue arrow is in this picture, there is a groove cut into the damper

a circlip sits in the groove, the spring baseplate (5 in the picture) then sits on that

machining another groove higher up the damper and moving the circlip into that raises the ride height

but that depends on the type of damper fitted, some will have spring baseplates welded in one fixed position

Image1.gif[/attachment:3hck2la8]

and............ should I be able to see it, without taking rear shocks out of the car?

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I will have a look tomorrow. thank you all for your help :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: