Sign in to follow this  
Novastrike

Engine tips

Hi Guys,

I just brought a Corrado VR6 that was in very good condition, however, the downside is that it has very high mileage (200k). It has an amazing service history and has just had a £1800 service to replace the clutch, flywheel, tensioner and guide rails amongst other things but i was wondering if there is anything in particular that I should look out for and if there is anything that i should check if it has been done recently.

I must admit that it drives like a car with half its mileage but i just want to be sure :)

Hi there!

Glad to see a new member. Check and see if the chains have been replaced. Also with the mileage of the car it might be worth checking rear bushes, calipers, pads etc.

Pop some pics up!

Check and see if the chains have been replaced

Sounds like they've been done as the tensioner and guide rails have been, random that the flywheel needed replacing though as you would've thought that would last 200k.

Good thing about buying at that milage and with good history is that a lot of the big jobs should've been done, stuff like head gaskets, chains, axle bushes, clutches, water pumps, coils etc should be a distant memory.

Just keep an eye on stuff like oil, fuel, and ABS pumps, master cylinders, etc. The gear selector cable can get brittle and snap at that milage although the replacement item is better. Compression may be worth checking depending on bore wear and if the piston rings have been changed, but you may well be fine for a while yet. As Grey16 mentioned the rear calipers are rubbish and seize but that can happen at any time, the mk4 golf item is a great replacement if they go.

I'm sure you'll be fine as long as no noises or signs get ignored, as you've said it's got a great history so just enjoy it.

Welcome to the forum and I hope you have many years motoring left in your new toy :D