vw domo

1993 2l 16v coil or coil pack

The corrado has been running lumpy when its hot lately so i decided to GFS to get a new coil and ignition modual and they presented me with one of these............

Untitled.jpg[/attachment:1fg6spvl]

iv got a cylinder type coil but as its one of the face lift models and im wondering weather its ment to have a pack rather than a cylinder?

tried to fit a new cylinder type coil and it wouldn't fire up :shrug:

anyone on the know with this?

I had exactly the same experience. The coil you need to ask for is the one for the kr engine. Good luck

I've only ever seen the 2.0 16V with a cylinder coil that has an amplifier(?) attached to it. Never seen one of those cubes on a Corrado 9A.

I think some numpty has shown you a coilpack from an ABF engine (mk3 golf/passat/ibiza 2.0 16v) it uses a totally different injection and ignition system to the 9A 2.0 16v Corrado.

The coil you need has an ignition amplifier attached and isn't the same as a KR one AFAIK, I have a KR system and a 2L 9A coil sat on a shelf in my garage, the physical coil cylinder looks similar, but so do all VW coils, the part numbers are not the same though. You may be able to use a KR coil on a 9A but you'd still need the 9A ignition unit that's mounted on it.

thanks for your reply's guys,

i might pop in to vw in that case and get the correct part numbers as the aftermarket sellers always seem to get it wrong.

when the guy showed me the coil pack i knew it wasn't right so i got him to have a look (as i had the c with me) and he gave me a coil which was slightly different to the one on there at the moment.

surprise surprise it didn't work so i took it back.

i was just interested in which models this was meant for as they are advertised everywhere for corrados.

thread resurrection.

iv been looking to purchase a new coil and modual again but it seems that if you have a 9a engine the only way is VAG :sad: (very expensive) has anyone successfully fitted a coil with a different PN or changed the plug-in to incorporate one of the dry coils? pretty sure i tried fitting an aftermarket coil listed for the kr and it didnt work. im guessing none of these options are possible due to the different ECU's.

Been a while now since anyone added to this - I'm in exactly the same boat as you (were). I need to replace the ignition coil in my C 92 16V 2.0 (9A) and can't seem to find a replacement anywhere! VW don't supply them anymore and third party suppliers want to sell me the square type coil which I know is wrong.

I noticed you managed to find a suitable replacement using a coil for the KR engine Part Number: 0 221 122 399 - How long did this work for in the end? Did you have to re-fit your existing 9A ignition module as well?

Any help would be great

Been a while now since anyone added to this - I'm in exactly the same boat as you (were). I need to replace the ignition coil in my C 92 16V 2.0 (9A) and can't seem to find a replacement anywhere! VW don't supply them anymore and third party suppliers want to sell me the square type coil which I know is wrong.

I noticed you managed to find a suitable replacement using a coil for the KR engine Part Number: 0 221 122 399 - How long did this work for in the end? Did you have to re-fit your existing 9A ignition module as well?

Any help would be great

just connects strait up to the 9a ignition module the same as the 9a coil. still going strong as far as i know! not got the corrado any more

:(

would a dodgy wire to the ignition coil aka G1 plug at the back of the fuse box cause the car to sometimes stall instead of holding its revs when stationary?