Sign in to follow this  
Matt DDK

Auto Fluid

Hi

I'm about to do a filter and fluid change on my VR6 and need a little advice on the following :-

1) I've ordered a filter from VAG but the fluid is £10 + vat per litre, can anyone recommend a cheaper alternative?

2) When changing the filter do I need any gaskets?

3) How do I change the filter and check the levels are correct?

4) Having only owned the car for a week and a half I don't have a workshop manual yet. Can anyone suggest the best one to buy and where to get it from?

5) Does anyone know the paint code for a mystic blue storm as VAG can't find it on any of their systems :confused4:

Thanks in advance for your help.

I'm sure it's the first of many questions?

Matt

from the title i guess you mean auto transmission fluid? If so, then its a little bit involved, not hard but yu need to keep things extremely clean. When you remove the fluid your solnoid valves are exposed, so either do it indoors or when it is not windy. Use a good ATF (red) fluid Dexron 3 if you can, i use(d) the Morris one. Then use a good additive - my recommendation is Lubegard (sic). You will need to top up with the engine running and up to temp. Post up if yous is an auto. If not, forget everything i've posted :)

Thanks fla.

Yes it is an auto, I should have written ATF. Would you happen to know what I should expect to pay for ATF, VW want £60+vat for the 5.6litres required. I only bought the car a week ago and want to give it a thorough service as the box is not changing quite as I like. Do I need a gasket set as well?

Which workshop manual would you suggest?

Thanks Matt

there are some good atfs around, i used the Morris one, Dexron III, super ATF. Depending on the mileage, check the sump gasket and replace it if necessary. You will also need the filter gasket which is like a misshaped square. Again, depending on mileage it might help to change the fluid a few times.

To change teh fluid, put the front of the car on ramps, remove the gearbox guard (17mm bolts) and put to one side. Get a large bucket, i used an old 10l paint drum, which is not too tall. Then loosen the front two bolts for the filter cover. Dont take these off yet. Slowly loosen teh rear two bolts. Be careful here as the tranny fluid will start to spill out from the edge. Let the fluid spill over into your drum. Move the loose cover up and down a little to bring the level still lower. Then remove the rear two bolts completely and let the fluid drain in to your drum. The torque converter retains a large portion of the fluid so you wont drain this out. The only way is to remove the gearbox and pump it out. Next best option is to refill with ATF run a drain again. This effectively dilutes the 'old' fluid.

I've posted some pics of my fluid change in one of my threads - i think its called 'tapping noise' or something similar.

Whilst you're there carefully inspect the ribbon under the filter to see this is not broken or split as this could be an expensive replacement.

Also, do a TCM reset, to clear any errors that may be stored. Give me a shout or send me a pm if you want to run through anything. I recently converted my auto to a manual for no reason other tha to get some more control on the drive of my car. However, i did a fluid change plus played around with the box to find out a bit more about it. It wasnt great when i bought the car, but after a little fiddling and fettling it really did become a nice smooth drive. Actually i do miss it a little...

All the best

edit: heres the link, should go to p14 on my thread.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=62635&hilit=tapping+noise&start=195