Sign in to follow this  
B41LEY

vr starting problems then cutting out

Need a bit of advice before spending even more money.

Car had a full engine rebuild a couple of weeks ago replacing lots! Head gasket,clutch,chains,piston rings,shells,radiator,hydraulic lifters etc etc

Anyway, ever since it came back from the garage it hasn't been starting right, it turns over and tries to fire but just doesn't start. That normally results in a big back fire through the air filter. After a few attempts it will finally start.

The car then runs fine until i get to a junction and dip the clutch then the revs die and the car coughs and splutters! (i end up braking and bliping the accelerator at the same time to stop it cutting out)

Vagcom diagnosed a fault with the "hall sensor" inside the distributor. A new distributor was fitted and the car ran faultless on a test drive, problem fixed i thought.

However, as soon as i switched it off and tried to start it the old problems came back! Vagcom came up with no faults. What the hell can be wrong with it!!!!!!!!

Has anyone else had similar problems??? Crank sensor has been mentioned as a common fault but surely if that was broken the car wouldn't start at all.

Any advice would be much appreciated, thanks Ian

could be a few things, the starting and then cutting out could be the immobiliser, but i'm sure someone else could advise better than i can. Also, the cutting out at junctions has been covered quite extensively. Its usually a combination of a mucky/sticking ISV and the dashpot under the throttle being too low. Plus it'll be worth cleaning out the throttle body. Try these first, see what someone suggests about the immobiliser and see how you get on. Best of luck.

All problems now fixed! My now very very good friend Tom (purple tom on here) fitted a new set of ht leads and coil and that seems to of solved it. Car runs lke a dream now. I can start enjoying it again at last Ian