Sign in to follow this  
churchy16v

ABF eaton

Iam considering building a abf eaton engine for my 89 corrado 16v the original kr engine has blown so iam getting a abf lump and all parts to replace it,(engine,box,part loom) i need help with a shopping list of parts needed and any help on the conversion would be helpfull. cheers

There is a thread on here for forced induction on valvers that would be the first port of call, here.

A few things you'll need to consider; Lowering compression, Engine management, Cooling the charge, Inlet manifold etc etc. You'll also need to consider custom bracketry for mounting the charger, as there is nothing off the shelf.

Mostly it depends on your budget and target performance.

ok cheers mate much appreciated, well the bhp dosnt have to be huge for now a nice 200 would be good maybe alittle more if doable on my budget i plan to do this over winter as the shell needs some touching up aswell

Go to page one of the link that mrbeige supplied.

It's all there for you in terms of forced induction.Everythingfrom building a bomb proof boost monster to a ghetto lashup. And everything in between for that matter.Then shout with any questions.

It will be interesting to see how you get on.Good luck.

Not sure there is much in that thread on eatons though.have a hunt around on vortex.

Have you any thoughts about mounting it?

What's your budget?

Again cheers 4 all help, yea not much on eatons on that tread but iam sure with help form a few people it can be done alot of usefull info on there too. As for the mounts iam thinking a custom bracket as i can wield that isnt a prob and i guess the alternator will have to be relocated 2 i would like the standard inlet manifold but cut and wielded to the other side like the rocco 16v unless this isnt the best route. Budget is wat ever i can spare lol iam gunna buy the abf 4 200 squids this weekend and lightened and balanced weekend after hopefully. :clap:

If you are handy with a TIG, then 1.8T inlet manifold off a 225bhp with the 16v flange welded onto it would work well. Or an Audi ABY manifold with the 5th runner cut off. For forced induction a short runner is preferable, as the long runners on the valver engine were designed to improve bottom end torque. As you are forcing the charge in there, there is no real need for it. You can still use it, and it will give you a further torquey punch, but at the expense of top end.

Sc0rian on Edition built an ABF with an Eaton strapped to it, so knows a lot about this.

Unfortunately his bunged it into a hedge, shortly after building it, so might be a bit scant on day to day running experience....

My experience/knowledge of 16VS/T motors is that they're a rich man's 20VT. :lol:

Sc0rian on Edition built an ABF with an Eaton strapped to it, so knows a lot about this.

Unfortunately his bunged it into a hedge, shortly after building it, so might be a bit scant on day to day running experience....

Was it actually ever plumbed in though, or was he running it N/A?

Was it actually ever plumbed in though, or was he running it N/A?

Yeah, Ben didn't have the charger plumbed in at that point, which was a shame really.

Sc0rian on Edition built an ABF with an Eaton strapped to it, so

Yeah, Ben didn't have the charger plumbed in at that point, which was a shame really.

Could have hit the hedge a lot harder, then. :lol:

Lmao yea it could of bin a bigger crash, yea i have bin flickin through his corrado build 2 i think i might get some info off him when i get to that point cheers guys 4 the help :notworthy:

I have sourced a low mileage abf lump,gearbox an loom, its gunna be stripped cleaned and lightened an balanced pics commin soon

an 1 have any ideas on the best engine management to run as i dont have a clue on that side of things :| theres so many also the lower inlet is being internaly polished as will be the head sooo much to do

theres so many also the lower inlet is being internaly polished as will be the head sooo much to do

Now why would you do that then?

Who's flowing the head?

I know a guy who's good with 16V heads.....

Engine management - depends what you want? Whether you want a complete package solution, or to build and learn the engine management platform yourself.

Complete package - go see Dave Walker at Emerald

DIY and live and learn - Megasquirt.

I was thinking of doin it myself as i have already done my kr head in my 87 mk2 gti 16v it came out very good so iam gunna have another go lol

yea i was thinking of megasquirt, i would like to know how everything runs on that side of things as i have never done it before, any 1 used it before ?? i did read bens abf eaton project an it seemed that he had trouble with it i guess its all trial an error maybe worth ago tho

Again on ED there's a guy called Chris (dunno what his udername is now) was running an ABF Eaton in a mk2 Ibiza... quite the lil monster... He drove to Charleys and back last year, was seen hunting an RS4 through some tunnels in France from memory...

I was thinking of doin it myself as i have already done my kr head in my 87 mk2 gti 16v it came out very good so iam gunna have another go lol

yea i was thinking of megasquirt, i would like to know how everything runs on that side of things as i have never done it before, any 1 used it before ?? i did read bens abf eaton project an it seemed that he had trouble with it i guess its all trial an error maybe worth ago tho

lots of success storys with MS.

You get out what you put in with it.

Toyotecs abf 16vT on clubgti car springs to mind.

Check out msruns.com or msefi.com.

You need a methodical and patient disposition to run MS i'd say and not have any fear of electricity. :)

cheers mate i have been hearing good things about it, i will check out the site lol. Na not fear of electricity :lol: i think deffo worth the time an effort if its gunna be a good system to use