Sign in to follow this  
Jay23Sx

Wheel Bearing Collapse & No Brakes

Well as the title suggests really I had a wheel bearing collapse on me tonight while I was on the A264.

Unfortunately it seems to have knocked out my brakes as well, either because of the amount of wheel movement causing the calipers to be pushed to far back or because of a brake failure at the same time. Luckily I still had some stopping power (if I pushed my foot through the floor) and avoided a collision - remarkable really as all the cars were bunched together slowing down for a roundabout.

To sum it all up I had my first trip home behind an RAC van, probably not my last, and as my wheel feels like it's about to fall off I need to find a mechanic to work on it by the side of the house rather than take it away.

Don't you just love C's ;)

Edit: Oh, no warning on the bearing collapse either - I'm familiar with all the signs and didn't have a single one of them.

Well I finally managed to find a new (to me) garage where one of the guys used to come and fix our Polo - good mechanic and with any luck, quite cheap :)

I'm quite eager to find out if the bearing going has caused any damage to anything else. I imagine I'm expecting a big bill, although I may end up with all new front suspension ;)

Ouch! Hope it's not too expensive.

Where abouts are you in W.Sussex? I'm in Worth....

Oh I'm sure it probably will be, it's a Corrado after all :)

Not to worried at the moment as I'm going to be away for a while with work so I've got my hands on a set of keys for one of the companies BMW 320d's.