Sign in to follow this  
tom n

Ignition barrel

Hi all,

For a while now, my corrado has been getting harder and harder to start with me having to rag the key around in an even more aggressive fashion each time!

Yesterday it wouldn't start, so i went and got a new ignition switch.

After hours molesting a few screwdrivers, i finally got the old one out! :censored:

Put the new one in, and it still wouldn't start. :mad2:

So I took out the switch and turned it with a screwdriver with the key in the barrel. The car starts!

After a bit more investigation, the ignition barrel seems a to have some play in it. Is this normal?

Thanks in advance

Tom

Hi all,

For a while now, my corrado has been getting harder and harder to start with me having to rag the key around in an even more aggressive fashion each time!

Yesterday it wouldn't start, so i went and got a new ignition switch.

After hours molesting a few screwdrivers, i finally got the old one out! :censored:

Put the new one in, and it still wouldn't start. :mad2:

So I took out the switch and turned it with a screwdriver with the key in the barrel. The car starts!

After a bit more investigation, the ignition barrel seems a to have some play in it. Is this normal?

Thanks in advance

Tom

my ignition barrel is doing something very similar :help:

its ok most times but in ever increasing occassions the key just wont turn in the barrel :(

edit: from reading here it seems quite common for the barrel to wear out

have you the right barrel? I had to completely demolish my old one to get it out. but the new one went in quite straight forward, did you push the spring bit in as you slid it into the column?

I haven't yet fitted it, going to drill the column surround and push in the spring and see how i go.

Got my barrell off ebay at a very small fraction of dealer price, so we'll have to see if it's ok!

Wheres the best place to get a new barrel? GSF or VW?

Sods Law that I've just spent a ton of money trying to sort all the little niggles out, then I go to turn the key this morning and it wont turn at all! Had to wrestle with it for a min to get the key to turn.

Should I get a new Ignition barrel AND steering lock, and if so does anyone know the VW part numbers for these?

Thanks

Oh, do I need to get the Steering Lock as well as the barrel? just got a quote from VW and they are roughly 40 each inc discount :(

Sounds like the barrel m8, mine has done the same....

Unfortunately the ignition barrel can't be retumbled & thus it's a case of new barrel with keys, iirc cost was about £78 Inc vat from VW