Sign in to follow this  
4eyes2wheels

Engine Problem

Well it had to happen and when I needed to pick my daughter up!

Where to begin?

A little background perhaps . . . ?

VR6 that doesn't get used much - a couple of short trips each week. Not used it for a couple of weeks so gave the battery a bit of a charge. Also the last tank of fuel was 95 Ron but I had just filled up a couple of miles ago with 98 Ron from Tescos.

So tonight I start her up - lovely no problem, lights everything all good. Rev her a bit - great here we go! Reverse off the drive and then off I go. Three hundred yards down the road to a T junction and then I stop and it stalls . . . . OK not that unusual as not been run for almost two weeks. Start her up and rev and it's really rough spluttering then revving very high. Then revs drop right off even with foot. Just about manage to turn it around and and limp back home with a couple of repeat performances of the above.

So have I :censored: it up by charging the battery? By changing fuel? LAck of use caused something to get stuck? Succumbed to old age?

What do you think ladies and gents?

Thanks in advance . . .

could be lots of things, ignition component given up somewhere, bad fuel causing a stuck injector (less likely), mass air-flow sensor gone, lambda gone, break in a vital cable going to the ecu somewhere (maybe most likely :shrug: ).

best thing to start with is get it VAG-COM'd, see what codes it's throwing up and then go from there...

Volkspeed in Ashtead tell me the crank position sensor was the problem. They have reset the fault and cleaned the sensor and things are loads better and are ordering a replacement as it is still registering as a low level fault.

Other issues are

failed ABS sensor (I knew that one and had tape over the dashboard light),

exhaust starting to blow a bit but still very servicable,

something dodgy on the front suspension which is causing the insides of the front tyres to wear to the point of being illegal,

Apart from that they reckon things are in pretty good shape :clap: