Sign in to follow this  
til2143

Wide track Conversion help

Im doing a 5 stud wide track conversion on my 8V Corrado, ive used the search and can seem to find some info, i know i need

VR6 hubs

VR6 Wishbones

VR6 anti rollbar and links

VR6 CV joints

Do i need VR6 drives? and how to i work the tie rods as i want to keep my original rack and as far as i know the VR6 tie rods dont screw into the 8v rack?

Cheers Lads, any help would be great

Paul

I've not tried it using the 8v steering arms but my gut feel is that they would be too short (or insufficient thread would be left)

So I would say VR6: -

Hubs

Wishbones

Ball joints

Drive shafts (including CV's of course)

Steering arms

Roll bar & drop links

I've not tried to screw VR steering arms into an 8v rack but I think the screw mounts are the same.

You know you can use MK3 16v and MK3 VR6 parts too right? More about (and cheaper) than Corrado VR parts.

My wide track MK2 Golf is a mix of MK3 Golf 16v (drive shafts, wishbones, hubs, steering arms, rack) , MK3 Golf VR6 (rear beam) & Corrado VR6 (brakes & speedline wheels).

Cheers

Simon

I've tried to fit VR6 steering arms to an 8V rack and I can confirm that they are the same - its just the length of the arms themselves that's different...

Tom

I've tried to fit VR6 steering arms to an 8V rack and I can confirm that they are the same - its just the length of the arms themselves that's different...

Tom

Thats great Tom thanks, it means i can put the longer vr6 ones on to my existing rack

What year is it - I thought late 8V's were Plus suspension anyway or is it just the Outer CV's that are VR6?

Its 95, an it has plus suspension, which is the same shocks and top mounts as a vr6, still has the narrow track tho, im refurbing all the running gear and i want to change her to 5 stud properly so i can run speedlines :)

I've not tried it using the 8v steering arms but my gut feel is that they would be too short (or insufficient thread would be left)

So I would say VR6: -

Hubs

Wishbones

Ball joints

Drive shafts (including CV's of course)

Steering arms

Roll bar & drop links

I've not tried to screw VR steering arms into an 8v rack but I think the screw mounts are the same.

You know you can use MK3 16v and MK3 VR6 parts too right? More about (and cheaper) than Corrado VR parts.

My wide track MK2 Golf is a mix of MK3 Golf 16v (drive shafts, wishbones, hubs, steering arms, rack) , MK3 Golf VR6 (rear beam) & Corrado VR6 (brakes & speedline wheels).

Cheers

Simon

Thanks Simon, im getting a lot of the stuff from a mk3 gti