Sign in to follow this  
perky15

vr6 engine upgrade

i have bought a corrado 1995 vr6 with 150k on clock and it pulls brill but i think i have cam chain rattle and a slight oil leak.

i was thinkin about buyin a 2nd hand engine of ebay but all of them seem to be 2.8 not 2.9 does it make much difference in performance?

my father has his own garage and i have good enough knowledge of mechanics so i can do all the work myself.

or would it be easier to rebuild my engine?

if so where do i get the parts and what parts would you say i should change? i have heard that US is the cheapest place to get parts?

Do you think it would be easier to replace the engine because the chains need doing and a slight oil leak.?? :cuckoo:

"my father has his own garage and i have good enough knowledge of mechanics so i can do all the work myself" :epicfail:

yeah :epicfail: sorry didnt explain the engine is coming out anyway an i thought as its got 150k on it would be better to buy a 2nd hand engine and rebuild it on a bench rather than have the car off the road.

Do you think it would be easier to replace the engine because the chains need doing and a slight oil leak.?? :cuckoo:

"my father has his own garage and i have good enough knowledge of mechanics so i can do all the work myself" :epicfail:

Harsh!

[strike:27nc58mt]But true.[/strike:27nc58mt]

150k is nothing for a Vr6 engine though. Change the chain and tensioner, trace the oil leak, do a full service, freshen up a few of the sensors etc and it'll be fine. Have a look on the ECP website for parts and prices.

The only worthwhile engine swap would be if you upgrade to 24v power.

cheers i will have a look now, its my first vr6 and thought 150k is a lot :shrug:

Sorry if i was bit harsh. :)

150k just run in. :D

there was a thread around a couple of days ago about people approaching 200k, you'd be suprised at how long these engines last. If you buy a second hand engine you could well be in exactly the same boat as how you started.

if i were you id just do a little rebuild, i bought a non runner (engine in bits) with 130k on it and the bores looked brand new!