Sign in to follow this  
v61odarrocwv

Fed up with leaky Corrado! Any help please!

Can anyone help me! I'm new on here and I have just about had enough of my leaky Corrado!! I have had it for about 2 years now, love it BUT am fed up with the water that seems to get into the boot area, rear seat area and the drivers foot well area! I have had the door panels off and looked at the plastic membranes, they are OK, I have put it through a car wash and looked for signs of leakage! Nothing!! I have even wasted a vast amount of water from a hose and tried to find anything that way! Again - NOTHING!! Can anyone tell me if this is a problem with Corrado's - mine is a 92 2.0L 16v, in Green with grey cloth interior, working sunroof and rear spoiler, recently had a new clutch fitted, original Estoril wheels re furbished - BUT one hell of a pissed off driver!! (am just thinking out loud what to write in my For sale advert!!)

Thanks

Welcome to the forum! Yep.. Corrado's do leak on occasion though the problems are normally fairly easy to trace.

If you're getting a load of water in the boot / rear area... have you checked the sunroof drain channels aren't blocked? Have you checked that all of the grommets which hold the Corrado badge (4x) and the VW badge (2x) are present and correct...? :)

Sorry to be ignorant on these matters, but how do I check the sunroof channels? Where are they? The roof headlining doesn't seem to be wet - I checked. Someone has said it may be the rear light seals? If so, where can I get a pair of new/used ones? And the damp has ventured to the rear seat area, how could this be - are Corrado's THAT bad for water leaking?

I've got terrible water problems in mine at the moment - rear seat is soaked through - when i lift bench armrest theres a pool of water under there, rear footwell is wet as is front carpets - car is very steamy with the heaters on too. And the weather is just getting worse, so not ideal to spot problems!

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=76995&start=75

this is what i did to my front doors and its not leaked at all. The one piece membrane tends to come away after a while at the bottom, resultig in the dreaded footwell puddles or if the car is parked up a hill, wet rear footwells. Hope that helps.

http://the-corrado.net/.archive/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=76995&start=75

this is what i did to my front doors and its not leaked at all. The one piece membrane tends to come away after a while at the bottom, resultig in the dreaded footwell puddles or if the car is parked up a hill, wet rear footwells. Hope that helps.

See this is something I can't get my head round :shrug: ... if the drain holes are clear in the door bottoms then you shouldn't get enough standing water to go over the inner lip?

If you think logically the water's only coming in via the outer window seal/felt channels.. so even in Monsoon conditions shouldn't be a huge amount.

The membranes are Vapour barriers, they're not designed to hold back floods!

Footwell flooding's probably down to Sunroof drains either blocked or not attached properly... you should be able to see them with the roof back... and they go down the A-pillars and C-pillars (from memory)... so you'll need the rear cards off..

you're right, deviant. I had a look at the leak 'route' when it soaked my passenger side - it appears that the vapour barrier would createa path via capillary action at the middle of the shet and once that route was made, any subsequent watrer would use theis 'easy' route and run down the inside. I would then end up with, we ll not quite a puddle but a sodden carpet, which would mop up with some newspaper. If there is a torrent, there is obviosuly something else wrong. I also replaced the seal around the fan intake - this is a bummer with aircon as teh flap mechanism protrudes throuh the mesh. This did account for more severe water ingress.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to why the drivers side rear quarter panel is wet? I had my rear door cards off and back seat out. As i thought I had dropped a screw, I stuck my hand down between the panel and the seating base of the rear seats metal and it was absolutely sodden.

Also passenger foot keeps getting quite wet (not soaked by quite damp). Is this the door card issue? if so I will fix it when i change the cards this weekend.

Thanks

John

Does anyone have any suggestions as to why the drivers side rear quarter panel is wet? I had my rear door cards off and back seat out. As i thought I had dropped a screw, I stuck my hand down between the panel and the seating base of the rear seats metal and it was absolutely sodden.

Also passenger foot keeps getting quite wet (not soaked by quite damp). Is this the door card issue? if so I will fix it when i change the cards this weekend.

Thanks

John

Cards off and check to see if s/roof drain has come detached?

Footwell likely to be Foliage seal... do a search...