Sign in to follow this  
Topaz2008

G60 Front Subframe

Last week I tried to replace one of my front lower suspension arms. Unfortunately the securing bolt that runs from front to back snapped in the sub frame :epicfail:. This had been replaced before by a previous owner as I have a receipt for it but traces of loctite were found around the bolt :cuckoo:

Various attempts at drilling the bolt out failed leaving me with no choice but to replace the front sub frame :censored: :censored: . I have been offered a sub frame from a MK2 Golf 16v :D but when I check on ETKA the part numbers are slightly different :confused4: :-

Golf 16V = 535 199 315 AD

Corrado G60 = 535 199 315 C

Does anyone here know the Golf sub frame will fit?

someone mentioned the other day that they'd used a (non GTI or VR) mk3 golf subframe, although I think one bolt hole needed drilling, should be a very cheap alternative.

Nope - it's not got the extra mounting points - the only MK2 Gold one you can use is off a G60

What extra mounting points are these? DO you have any more info?

the g60 one have like a little leg extending back from the arb mount area

g60leggie.jpg

Thats a very nice looking subframe :D

Is that one in the pic Corrado or Golf? I was not sure if the red circle showed the bracket thingy or where it should be. My car is in store at the moment so its not that easy to compare.

Sorry to be a retard but will it fit without the thingy??

:D :D

You can use the mk3 one with a little modification. The legs on the back are longer on the mk3, so you need to cut them down and drill a new hole to match where it is on the Corrado legs, then it will bolt up to the body.

The rear engine mounting is different on the mk3 subframe though, so you will also need the engine mount and the bracket from the back of the block from a 4-cylinder (1.8-2.0) engine, which will fit fine on the back of your G60. I did this swap on my 16V because the original subframe had cracked and all I could find was a mk3 one. It worked just fine :)

I wouldn't be inclined to use a mk2 subframe without the legs - they were obviously added to stiffen the front end up, and it might spoil it if you didn't have them.

I am on the road again :D :D :D New subframe and arms + bushes etc all fitted and I have my car back...... And today it :censored: snows :(

A G60 has enough problems putting power down on a damp road so the snow is going to be a nightmare.