Sign in to follow this  
marshole82

KR Upgrades

Hey all,

Looking into the possibility of upgrading the KR to get a few more ponies out of it.

i know i can get a 50mm inlet but have no idea where or for how much? any ideas?

i have a stainless ezhaust so am hoping there is an exhaust mani like a 4-2-1 available for the KR? how much and where can i get one?

are there any cams the will give me better power that can bolt in from other engines or am i wishing too much?

silly question as well, but i'm getting about 143bhp, could i expect 150+ if i get these upgrades on?

cheers all

oli

A mk2 golf tubular manifold and downpipe will fit the KR corrado, tuners like TSR supply them although you will have to be careful with the gear change cables on the corrado as they run very close to a downpipe and can be damaged from heat of not shielded. Threy can provide small increases in peak power but don'r expect miracles as the standard OEM 16v system is pretty good.

A 50mm inlet may produce slightly higher top end bhp but it's marginal and you may get less torque from the same mod.

Aftermarket cams are available from companies like kent, schrick etc but are really best as part of a tuning package with a flowed head, as they are not cheap and may not provide much of an improvement on an otherwise standard engine.

Really, by far the best mod on a KR is a 2 Litre bottom end, it drops straight in with all the same ancilliaries and will give 160bhp pretty much every time with a KR head and cams, anything up to 200bhp with other mods like flowed heads, aftermarket cams and blueprinted engines.

yeah this is what i'm finding out from net surfing :( may as well drop in an ABF instead :)

i notice you have the 2.0 bottom end and flowed head - what pwer are you running?

Having driven Dave's, I would totally agree with the above. It would leave my 16v behind quite comfortably and the only real difference between our engines is the bottom end. Very tempted to do this myself...

Out of interest would dropping a KR head onto a 9a bottom improve the 9a engine?

Or would the two different fuel systems stop this being as straight forward?

It will go straight on, and yes it will give you more power. It's worth getting it flowed too. Thought you already had a KR cam?

It will go straight on, and yes it will give you more power. It's worth getting it flowed too. Thought you already had a KR cam?

Ahh right ok.

I do but not fitted yet :( more important things to do first.

Would a flowed KR head give more grains than a flowed 9a head with a KR cam?

This forum is realy good at encouraging me to think expensive thoughts :lol:

Also this might help with the original question on this thread

http://wiki.the-corrado.net/16v_tuning_guide.html

Once flowed, I wouldn't think there would be much in it TBH.

Fair enough

I think there is another job being adding to my list now 8) :lol:

yeah this is what i'm finding out from net surfing :( may as well drop in an ABF instead :)

i notice you have the 2.0 bottom end and flowed head - what pwer are you running?

funny you should say that, it was on the rolling road at stealth for the forum day the other week, it's still putting down around 135bhp at the wheels (just under 170 crank) which is only 5 or 10 bhp off a number of the standard VR6's that ran :D

I've got a bit of an abortion of an exhaust on it at the moment which I don't think is helping the top end and my injectors are well past their best before date, I'm sure there's a couple more ponies in there somewhere :lol:

re the head swap, iirc the 9a and kr heads have slightly diferent inlet/ exhaust and valve sizes, i *think* the 9a has small exhausts whilst the kr has larger exhausts, so the 9a promotes torque over absolute top end, everything i've ever read suggests it doesn't make nought difference when they have work done though to gasflow etc