Sign in to follow this  
muppetlab

New gearbox mount a cure for many problems.

For months i have been tormented by noises from the front of my vr. Knocking through the steering when stationary and turning, creaking on bumps, cv joint bolts repeatedly coming undone and finally horrendous screeching noises that sounded like the bearings were self destructing. Many a scratched head and puzzled garage owner failed to pin point the problems as all bushes are new polys, no play in cv's or rod ends no real play in steering to speak of. I got some new vf engine mounts and a poly mk2 golf gearbox mount but had not fitted them. Then the front mount gave way and dented the bonnet which meant i replaced the front mount but still the annoying noises were there. Then today i finally got round to replacing the gearbox mount. Wow what a difference! :shock:

Gone are the clunking steering, no more suspension noise and even the terrible bearing noise has gone although the wheel bearing is now shot. I was wondering that as the gearbox mount was shot could it have been the cause of the wheel bearing noise and cv joint problems. All seems confined to the passenger side for some reason? Awesome noise now though with the poly mount, bit of vibration but such a nice gearchange and feel its well worth it. I am happy again and all is well with my Rado relationship. It was getting a bit rocky as having so many problems and not being able to sort them gets you down after a while. Still got the thermostat housing and radiator to sort yet but things are finally looking up.

Hope so the noise was driving me mad. Not sure if the poly gearbox mount will do the same shortly but am loving the racing car feel at the moment. Can always change back to a squashy one if i get soft in my old age. :grin:

Just wondering if the mk2 Golf mount needed any modifiying to fit? Or straight change over?

Thanks and nice one for sorting your troubles.

mk2 stuff is the same on all 2.0 16v mot sure about the rest , sounds as if mine has gone too as its doing the same thing not as bad as yours

I got a flo flex poly mount of ebay for a mk2. The fitting is the same it seems but i had to change the top mount bolt for a longer one as maybe theres more bracketry on top of a vr gearbox mount than a mk2 golf? Think it was a m10 bolt. Just looked at the wheel bearing again as kept coming loose. Seems the hub flange is fooked so another job for the weekend and yet more expense. :mad2:

Am thinking it might be cheaper to just rebuild the front in one go rather than bits and pieces. I knew it was too good to last......

garage have ordered one already as i need it sorted as its my daily and i am too busy at work at the mo to fix it up. The Bearing looks a bitch to drift in though. Probably get stung on the part but will get a spare for next time. :D