Sign in to follow this  
brayford

Corrado VR6 ABS Fault, light on

Just got my car back from the garage today to try and get it sorted for its MOT due in January.

ABS light has been on constantly for about 8 months, finally got round to getting a fault code test today. It came up with front right and both rear sensors being at fault. Surely not all 3 could fail at once. Mechanic said it could be the part that sends the pressure to the abs that could be blocked? If so can you clean this yourself?

Has anybody had the same problem and how did you solve it? It won't pass an MOT with ABS light on. They check this now as a routine even if you take the bulb out they can tell.

Thanks

Dave

Hi Dave if you've been using the C for eight months with the ABS light on then it is concievable that all 3 sensors are indeed goosed. I had a simalar problem with mine, got it on VAG COM and was told that only the front left ABS was at fault. However when I picked the car up I was then advised that the front right was also faulty. I would deffo get the faulty sensors changed first, make sure you get genuine VW parts though, before you start looking into the pump side of things.

Cheers Alan

The £126 price is probably for *rear* sensors. Don't ask me why it's so steep. Even from VW the front ones shouldn't be more than about £35.

i've heard that there are two types of sensor on the front.

the far more common one seems to be the cheaper item which you can buy just the little sensor for at the end of the cable which bolts onto the hub carrier.

however, i have heard of all "all in one" affair for the front abs which i believe is far more expensive...

the first type i mentioned there should be able to unplugged right at the sensor on the hub carrier, leaving the long cable that runs up into the arch behind; check i that's the one you've got. if it is (which i would put my money on) then you're in luck as it will be a cheaper fix.

that's definiely not gospel, but it's how i understand it...

when i replaced my rear abs sensors they were about £65 a side iirc.

interestingly the new ones i was supplied with had plastic outer sheaths rather than metal like the old ones. i'm guessing that manufacturers switched to an all plastic body when they realised that the metal type would just seize into the stub axles and always need beating out, hence damaging the sensors.

for the cost of under £200 and a little labour tim, i would say it's well worth the money for the peace of mind when you know your braking system is functioning as it should be.

I've been told now theres a difference between a late car and an early car with sensors.

Mines a K Reg and is a sort of crossover car so i literally have no idea which one to go for now. So p*ssed off with just these little problems and trying to get it through an MOT. Its not like is a lot of stuff, replace a sensor and it should be all good.

Anybody got any way of checking categorically what type of sensor mine should need?

I've been told now theres a difference between a late car and an early car with sensors.

Anybody got any way of checking categorically what type of sensor mine should need?

VIN number will determine which sensor you need.