Sign in to follow this  
Novastrike

Lower Rear Quarter panel leak

Hi everyone.

I have a very strange leak that I need help with!!.

My car seems to accumulate water in the lower drivers side quarter panel. If you take the door card off you obviously have the metal bits where the doorcard is bolted too and seatbelts etc but behind that you have the metal panel which is outside of the car. The lower section below the trimline is absolutely soaked. I have only had the car a few months but there are two rust spots in that area so I am guessing its been like it for years.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what it might ?

Thanks

John

does it leak when car is standing still ? Or when driving ?

Have you put a hose over the window ? Is the seal watertight ? Are the arch liners in ? Inspect the arch, any small holes ?

Thanks Dragon Green, I have no idea whether the car is leaking when being driven or not. The leak is very difficult to see and i only noticed it because I dropped a screen down there. I will put a hose over the window and will inspect the Arch Liners this weekend. Thanks for the tips, this gives me somewhere to start :)

Is your passenger footwell wet too? I had the same thing and found that water was getting in through the door seal, draining into the passenger foot well and into one of the holes of the interior sill that sits at the edge of the door onto the carpet. The water would then drain to the back of the quarter panel. Once I installed new door seals it rectified the leak.

I have also heard that if you have water getting into the boot it can collect around the spare wheel area and once it evaporates it can condense into the quarter panel.

Like dragon green said, get someone to put a hose over the rear window and than the front window and watch to see if water starts pouring in after awhile.

Check the rear sunroof drain tube. It think the tube goes from the sunroof above the rear panel and down the C pillar. It might be blocked or leaking :shrug:

I have checked the drain tube and it seems ok. There is no water leaking down the side or any moisture on the water marks on the plastics I just removed. I think its something lower down otherwise, It would be quite obvious would it not?

Thanks

John