Sign in to follow this  
matt_16vturbo

vr locking up and pulling to the left when braking

I recently got myself a 95 vr6 rado. failed mot on corroded and pitted discs and pads and a few ropey copper brake lines. Anyway i replaced every copper brake line, every flexi hose, all discs and pads, rear abs rings. fitted all the parts and bled all the brakes etc. problem is when braking at any speed the front left wheel locks up. checked everything, no abs faults, no air in system, rear load sensing valve is free, no sticking calipers. has anyone any ideas?

I recently got myself a 95 vr6 rado. failed mot on corroded and pitted discs and pads and a few ropey copper brake lines. Anyway i replaced every copper brake line, every flexi hose, all discs and pads, rear abs rings. fitted all the parts and bled all the brakes etc. problem is when braking at any speed the front left wheel locks up. checked everything, no abs faults, no air in system, rear load sensing valve is free, no sticking calipers. has anyone any ideas?

i would check and re-check all fittings etc, especially where the pads st on the carriers. have you copper-greased them all etc etc.

did you use any grease on the sliding pins that hold the calipers onto the carriers?

also with the new lines - are all the bends nice and linear (did you use a pipe bender for the tight turns?) and are you certain that no crap go into the lines/brakes when re-assembling....

(all that is said without trying to make you sound like a bad mechanic by the way!) failing all the above and all the obvious things, what are you tyres like? - does the front left have less meat left/different tread/make to all the rest?

bit of an odd one if it's all new gear - good luck fixing it and let us know how you get on...

one other thing worth checking - does your ABS light come on and then go out when you start the car?

if not, there's a chance someone has unplugged/removed the light to get is past the MOT...

i had an ABS fault with my car for a while on one on the rears(dodgy sensor); when i braked hard from speed the back end would always swing out really badly - needless to say i got that sorted fairly sharpish!

one other thing worth checking - does your ABS light come on and then go out when you start the car?

if not, there's a chance someone has unplugged/removed the light to get is past the MOT...

i had an ABS fault with my car for a while on one on the rears(dodgy sensor); when i braked hard from speed the back end would always swing out really badly - needless to say i got that sorted fairly sharpish!

damm your not wrong there the very reason i sorted mine after driving it for 2 weeks with no abs its bloody dangerious she was well tail happy :lol:

Generally pulling to one side under braking is track rod end related.

fair point, but i'm guessing that the problem only started happening after he changed the brakes over...

changing the brakes for uprated items would amplify the problem from hat it was before so you would notice it more (certainly worth getting the geometry checked), but from the wording of his first post, i'm guessing the guy is fairly competent and would have thought of that...

just my 2p