Sign in to follow this  
shaung60

16V Standard Oil Cooler Removal

I want to remove mine to replace the gasket. Now I can see 3 allen head bolts that hold it to the block. I can get to the top one if I remove the sender but how do I remove the lower 2 bolts? The whole cooler seems to be in the way? I've looked in the Haynes Golf 16V book and it shows a nice pic of the parts that make up the cooler but no text on how to remove it?

Undo the nut between the oil cooler and the oil filter, and the cooler will drop off.

It's a big nut. Like 28mm or 32mm or something.

gasket between cooler and bracket or bracket and block?

Between cooler and block I believe. Underside of the car now has some fine rust protection and I think that's where it's coming from.

Between cooler and block I believe. Underside of the car now has some fine rust protection and I think that's where it's coming from.

yeah, it's a fibre/paper type gasket and you should be able to get onto the allen bolts, but as toad said you'll also need to remove the filter and cooler first to get at the bracket bolts.

yeah, it's a fibre/paper type gasket and you should be able to get onto the allen bolts, but as toad said you'll also need to remove the filter and cooler first to get at the bracket bolts.

Thanks David. Luckily I've got the G60 block in the car I'm breaking to practice on before I go charging into the real thing.

...And replace the shiyte paper version with the 9A's far superior metal/rubber jobbie.

I think some ball ended allen keys help on this one too, i had the slam panel and radiator off when i did this which made it significantly easier.

Get some mechanics paper towel too, its quite rough so quite effective at removing old scummy oil from mounting faces, etc.

might be worth thinking of doing other bits like the outlet flanges, thermostat and possible the water pump while you've got the system drained down.. all relatively inexpensive.

Paper gasket was less than £2 and metal one less than £3 to buy. Took the rad out to give me better access to the area. Cooler was easy enough to remove to find the old paper gasket solid and brittle. New gasket on and all back together. Not too difficult a job really.