Sign in to follow this  
Novastrike

Soundproofing

Hi guys,

I am doing a complete refit for my interior and i was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for improving the soundproofing and suggestions of what materials to use.

Thanks

Jonathan

quite a few things can be done, but are you wanting to reduce road noise or improve sound quality from your head unit?

Firstly, forget about using tons of sheets of Damplifier etc - you only need to cover abouyt 25-40% of a panel to stop it vibrating. Stick a sheet of Damplifier in the middle of the door or roof or whichever panel you are working on. Then use a barrier - something like a mass loaded vinyl sheet. I think there is Second Skin which does a good job. On top you can use a 5mm layer of acoustic foam to cut out any rattles and hold everything in place. This will weight a LOT less than 25 layers of the shiny metallised butyl sheets people cover their cars with - will cost less and will perform better. Haywire used masses of Dynamat -type product on his car and concluded it had no effect. It would have helped with SQL but not with road noise, but then again its not designed to do that.