Sign in to follow this  
radness

ABS - MOT Failure / Sensor Part issue

Hi Guys,

My ABS system hasn't been working for the past 3 months and I wasn't really concerned about it as I know ABS isn't really that important or so I thought. Although my MOT was due I thought simply disconnecting the light and they wouldn't even notice the car had ABS.

Anyway the guy asked me why my ABS light wasn't working and told me it would be a failure as the ABS system is very important on cars that come with ABS as they are missing valves and such which prevent the rear wheels from locking up and so on a car with ABS that isn't working it's quite dangerous...

So that means my ABS system must be working :(

Anyway, tried to source a part (my left front sensor is screwed) and VW tell me they don't sell them anymore! I really didn't want to buy from euro car parts or GSF as i hear you need genuine sensors or you'll have all sorts of issues.

Please help me, my car has no MOT and i need it :(

I have to say, I think you've answered your own question: VW don't sell 'em so you have no choice but to go to GSF/ECP. They're probably the same part anyway.

Don't know who told you the aftermarket ones have loads of trouble, but I still think you'll have less trouble with a new aftermarket sensor than a dead VW one... ;)

ABS sucks on snow, but it is a critical safety component in general use. I had forgotten that my VR has traction control. Over the last two days I've been constantly reminded!

I've had a GSF sensor on the NSF for over a year now and it's never given me any problems. I don't suppose it will have the lifespan of an OEM sensor but at about £12 a time it's not the end of the world anyway.

As dr_mat said, if you can't get a new one from VW it's the only option other than a second hand one.