Sign in to follow this  
scruffydubbers

Quick G60 Question

Hello,

on the end of my fuel rail on the oposite side to the fuel pressure regulator there is a small tube going to some kind of sensor with an electrical connector on.

does anybody know what this is for?

thanks for any help

fuel pressure switch

ETKA says it is a 1.2BAR switch but what for? My Bentley is in the car and it's raining. A job for another day?

Gavin

thanks

the standard fuel pressure regulator is at 3 bar so maybe it controls some kind of warning or shut off if the pressure drops, :? just guessing really.

i am putting a g60 engine in my car and i have no wiring for this switch, and i was woundering if it effects the running of the car dont think it is linked into the wiring for the ecu or running of the engine, so was just woundering what it was for :?:

My mate has a mk2 Golf with a G60 droped in it and the plug your talking about has nothing pluged into it. Thought it was a bit odd at the time but it runs okay.

I just read in another post about fuel pumps staying on after turning the engine off. That they do it to cool the petrol. Also that the temperature of the petrol is measured somewhere under the bonnet. Could this be what its for? It would make sense that this feature doesnt work with a standard 8v golf fuel pump. So my mates conversion doesnt use it. (just a thought, probably wrong. :-P )

Maybe that switch turns on the fuel pump if it detects less than 1.2 bar static pressure with the engine off? Pure guess work here!

fuel pump will not cool the gasoline but in fact the opposite - a pressure rise will be accompanied by a temperature rise

tt

It doesn't cool the petrol, it stops it sitting next to the hot areas of the enginebay and re-circulates the fuel back to the tank where the petrol in the tank cools the warm petrol from the line. It never increases the pressure in the lines, only keeps it steady and moves the fuel around... 8)

fuel pump will not cool the gasoline but in fact the opposite - a pressure rise will be accompanied by a temperature rise

tt

It doesn't cool the petrol, it stops it sitting next to the hot areas of the enginebay and re-circulates the fuel back to the tank where the petrol in the tank cools the warm petrol from the line. It never increases the pressure in the lines, only keeps it steady and moves the fuel around... 8)

Cheers for the clarification. I'm geting it I think!!! :lol: This is there because the hot exhaust manifold being below the inlet and injectors. Another benifit of an x-flow then!! :lol:

He's learning.........

tt

the pump supplies fuel at pressure - even at lower pressures there will be a temp rise. but i agree with the reason - prevents fuel evaporation due to heat soak

tt

the pump supplies fuel at pressure - even at lower pressures there will be a temp rise. but i agree with the reason - prevents fuel evaporation due to heat soak

Yup, you're right, BUT the return fuel line to the tank relieves that pressure (sounds like a headache tablet advert! :roll: ) so the pressure in the pipe to the injector rail stays pretty much constant, and any increase in temp due to pressure will be miniscule... 8)