Sign in to follow this  
smiff

Intermittent Misfire on 16V

Driving home Saturday morning my car felt as lumpy as I did. I had hardly any power, just enough to get home. Saturday afternoon checked all pipes, connections and leads, nothing out of place. Tried the car again and she was fine! Monday morning lumpy as rice pudding! But I did manage to get to work. Monday evening I started her up drove a few miles in traffic misfiring with a flat spot at 2000rpm. On the motorway I slowly gained speed and at 80mph she suddenly opened up and was fine??

There is still a little misfire at low speed. Will it get worse? Bad petrol? Blocked Jets? Any tips on when or how to clean Jets?

lead/coil/plug breakdown

fuel filter/pump/pressure accumulator weak/blocked

warm up regulator/cold start injector.

not a big k-jet expert on the 16v but these are where id look

Plug breakdown is my best guess, I had an old Golf 16V that did exactly that, turned out that plug lead number 3 had corroded internally and was shorting out on the rocker cover.

Kev

94 VR6

I might replace the plugs this coming weekend. I did have new ones when my headgasket was replaced only about 8months ago, they should last a lot longer! I also bought new leads (flame thrower blues)

What after market plugs are recommended for 1.8 16V (Not too expensive) ????

shes playing up....and slowly getting worse...

I recently used some injector treatment, and was pretty impressed with the results but it seems this did not cure the problem, the car did and still does feel more responsive, but.....deep breath....when she is first fired up (from cold only) she struggles (sort of like a cough!) then she clears......hack up the motorway.....stop in traffic and then she misfires (misfire is probably the wrong word, as a misfire would happen all the time?) It seems once the blockage/cough/lack of power is cleared she runs really well? If I drop down from fourth to third and floor her she takes a second or so to agree to keep going! Any ideas? Can anyone tell me how the warm up regulator/cold start injector works? Where are they located? Any help would truly be appreciated.

I'd also consider changing the disty cap and rotor arm.. they might help a little?

Dont know anything about the cold start injector though mate.. anyone here at all?

Yep and whilst at it change the fuel filter!!!!

If done all that and STILL got problems then would start looking at fuelling system in detail....