Sign in to follow this  
Rinse

Late to Early Dash?

Done a search and seen theres a couple differences between the two. I've got a grey dash in my valver but i've got a full early black leather interior thats still in my G60. Will it be worth swapping the dash from the G60 into my valver, or should I just wait for a Late black dash so its more of a straight swap? Don't have many tools available to mod the early one to fit.

Would be wanting to swap the heater vents too as i prefer the horizontal ones to the vertical ones, do these attach the same way to both dashes?

Its pretty much a straight swap as i did early to late in my valver. The only thing you'll need to remember is that you'll also need to use the metal bracket from the corresponding dash (early bracket for early etc) which sits at the bottom middle (infront of the heater box) as they are different. I'm afraid i don't have a picture to show you but someone else might. The next bit you'll have trouble with is the door cards although going from late to early won't be as much of a problem as the other way around. There are extra brackets for the late which i needed to make holes in my door to fit (you dont see them) but as you're going the other way it shouldn't be a problem although you might have to remove them. The centre console with the heater dials/slider etc is different for early to late and im not sure if the brackets are also different. If you're swapping them over too you'll need to remember to use the cables from the heater box (2 black and 1 blue that run from the box to the dials/slider) as the slider uses 'r' hooks and the dial 'o' hooks. What else...

Yeah I've got a an entire G60 so can get the bracket no problems.

Will I be able to swap out the whole centre console part? Like the heater controls, cd player, ashtray part? will it be a case of unclipping it and clipping it back in or will I have to do some modification to it?

If its the latter I may as well go the distance and re-locate the CD player to where the ashtray is meant to be and get a gauge pod made up!

Is it really that easy? I thought certain important components behind the scenes were also different, the headlight wiring loom to the switch being one of them?

Is it really that easy? I thought certain important components behind the scenes were also different, the headlight wiring loom to the switch being one of them?

Well the headlight switches are the same size and use the same wiring loom so he's got no issue there. The switches in the late centre console are slightly larger though and will only fit their age console (ie late switches will only fit late centre console) As far as i'm aware however the centre consoles are the same shape so if you were planning on using the same one (the late one) in your valver then it should fit into the dash, that way you haven't got to change the looms etc (although since you'll have the entire dash out anyway they're very easy to change, or at least i found it easy anyway.)

As i said with the heater box it all depends if you're changing it over. If the centre console doesnt fit (but i think it does although don't quote me) then you'll have to retro fit the slider controls which also means changing the cables (again easy if the dash is out already). If you wanted to relocate the cd player heater controls etc then you'll have to mod the centre console and create your own brackets, as obviously they were only meant to fit in one place :lol:

It might be worth checking the ABS light. There appears to be two types of connections and I am afraid I have no idea if its age, engine or spec related. one ABS light consists of two seperate plugs (one small and one large) the other consists of a single solid connection. Whilst i am sure the wizards on here will be able to tell you why they are different, I can only tell you that there is some deviation.

The ABS light, like the switches are age related, larger one with 2 bulbs and connectors fits into the late dash, although John and I could never work out what the second bulb/socket was for :lol:

The G60 never had ABS fitted! First one I come across without it, just remembered that and is making me miss it even more... :(