Sign in to follow this  
easypops

Brake Lights have stopped working?..SORTED

Hello all :D ,

Just noticed that my brake lights(both sides) have stopped working.

Not sure how long its been like that, as i haven't been doing too many miles recently(dodgy exhaust.......repaired today :D )

Both bulbs look ok, both filaments are fine and the car lights themselves work ok, the fuse (No20) 10amp is also fine, and yes i did replace it :lol:

I removed the switch from above the pedal and tried operating it manually, which also didn't work?

They were working as recently as a month ago as i changed a bulb and got my mrs to press the pedal to check etc.

Any ideas/suggestions welcome :D :help:

Thanks

Martin

Oh and as always i have looked in the search :D

Just went out and unplugged the wiring to the switch on top of the brake pedal, bridged the 2 contacts with a piece of wire but still the lights won't work........i guess this means there is either a break in the wire

1. Between Fusebox and Switch?

2. Between Switch and the Lights?

:shrug:

Grab hold of a 12v test lamp and see if 1 of the brake light switch wires is live,i think it's the red with black stripe wire.Check the contacts inside the bulb holders for any corrosion and also the harness plugs that plug into the light clusters.

Grab hold of a 12v test lamp and see if 1 of the brake light switch wires is live,i think it's the red with black stripe wire.Check the contacts inside the bulb holders for any corrosion and also the harness plugs that plug into the light clusters.

I'll have a look in the morning if i have time , if not it'll be in the dark tomorrow evening........although i have already had the connectors on and off and all seems well there, especially as the lights are working, and they are the same bulbs as the brakes :shrug:

I think in reality the problem must lie behind the fusebox/brake switch, although i haven't done anything in that area to cause anything?........i'm just hoping someone will suggest something else before i need to get involved with spaghetti junction :lol:

Well thats them fixed.......seems to have been the bulb holders, as i was getting power through the red/black wire(cheers VEEDUBBED )........i'll have a closer look at the holders to see where the fault is when its a bit warmer in the garage :camp: :lol: