Sign in to follow this  
eugopnosaj

Fuel gauge problem

My 'rado seems to think that she can create petrol! Every time i brake the needle starts to rise, its not sudden (as if it were loose) but then it falls again as i drive....

Any suggestions?

Jason

Yup got similar problem myself.

Its either the sender or the float in the tank. Or the stabiliser in the dash instruments. However i got the stabiliser changed and it didnt seem to help. Check the sender in the tank first, apparently they can get worn with age.

is this not just a common thing with older cars? As you brake the petrol sloshes forward and triggers the sender to read a higher petrol level? then when you accelerate the opposite happens.

Every old car i have ever had has done this and i thought it was just a quirk of having an older car?

is this not just a common thing with older cars? As you brake the petrol sloshes forward and triggers the sender to read a higher petrol level? then when you accelerate the opposite happens.

Every old car i have ever had has done this and i thought it was just a quirk of having an older car?

It might be a quirk but its damn annoying :lol:

It might be a quirk but its damn annoying :lol:

well that depends... i used to get it every time i turned right the petrol would go up. As long as i never turned left i would be ok for petrol! :grin:

I get the same issue on my VR6, It usually re-adjusts itself after a while.

If i am honest I think its a quirk with most cars, I have a 51 x-type and a 52 Hyundai Coupe and they both had this issue to varying degree's. Its rather annoying isn't it!!

JP