Sign in to follow this  
krnau

g60 oil pan gasket in kr?

I was told it could be done, and as g60 oil pan gasket is made of ¿rubber?, it was better than the kr one. but, is it a rumour, or will it fit ok without any mods etc?

Not sure to be honest, I've only ever changed rocker cover gaskets before, I'm guessing it won't hurt as long as none gets in the sump/oil!!

They are interchangeable with no mods as the oil sump is the same.

Best bet is to fit a windage tray as that has an integrated rubber gasket on it and helps with keeping the crankshaft sloping through the oil.

what is a windage tray?

and where can I get it from?

and what's involved in putting it in my kr?

it's a big pressed metal plate that spans the whole sump and has an integrated sump gasket as part of it, it was first fitted to the diesel engines presumably because they had long throw cranks.

GSF should sell them still as it's a standard diesel part.

A lot of tuners like TSR fitted them to engine conversions it's not really needed on a road car but helps keep the oil where it should be, at the bottom of the pan to be picked up by the pump.

Ojn some engines it might be necessary to trim or remove the plastic baffle around the oil pump, which again is there to aid oil pickup for the pump, but I think I managed to get my KR one to fit with the windage tray IIRC

it's a big pressed metal plate that spans the whole sump and has an integrated sump gasket as part of it, it was first fitted to the diesel engines presumably because they had long throw cranks.

GSF should sell them still as it's a standard diesel part.

A lot of tuners like TSR fitted them to engine conversions it's not really needed on a road car but helps keep the oil where it should be, at the bottom of the pan to be picked up by the pump.

Ojn some engines it might be necessary to trim or remove the plastic baffle around the oil pump, which again is there to aid oil pickup for the pump, but I think I managed to get my KR one to fit with the windage tray IIRC

thanks.

so it can be fitted to the kr engine without removing anything else but the oil pan?

but is it worth it?