Sign in to follow this  
Swompy

Help woth a mk3 golf please.

My bro's mk3 golf 1.4 is over heatting.

changed the thermostat today but still not working.

One pipe to the rad is hot the other to the thermostat is cold and the heatting in the car isnt working.

Any ideas on what it could be and how to fix it?

if theres no hot water going to the heater matrix then youre looking at a gone water pump.

ahh rght

There has been a little leek around that area so could have finaly given up the ghost

It may be an air lock - my mk2 does the same thing when filled from dry. Try squeezing the rad hoses a few times and allow it to warm up with the cap off the expansion tank (don't allow it to get hot! just warm). Also make sure the small hose from the top of the stat housing to the expansion tank isn't kinked or flattened.

It may be an air lock - my mk2 does the same thing when filled from dry. Try squeezing the rad hoses a few times and allow it to warm up with the cap off the expansion tank (don't allow it to get hot! just warm). Also make sure the small hose from the top of the stat housing to the expansion tank isn't kinked or flattened.

yes thats right... just remebered the mk2 gti... we had to rev the engine a couple of times to remove air locks

Righto will give that a go in the morning

cheers :salute:

We have tryed removing any air in the system and so far both radiator hoses are hot as they should be.

But the pipes to the heatter matrix are half hot half cold. they go from hot to cold when the pipes bend upwards. Its the same with both pipes.

Still no hot air coming through the vents

It could be that the heater core is silted up - also had that same problem on the mk2.

What sort of condition is the cooling system in? If it is dirty / rusty / full of sludge and has been neglected then the heater core is where all the crud will end up.

Try removing the hoses from the core and put a hosepipe to it. You should have no restriction in flow, and obviously it should be clean. On the mk2 it was very restricted and the water coming out was full of grit and silt. No amount of flushing would clear it out, so I had to replace it, although I had to pull the dash anyway, so fitting a new core was no problem. Pulling the dash on a mk3 is a most heinous task :?

It could be that the heater core is silted up - also had that same problem on the mk2.

What sort of condition is the cooling system in? If it is dirty / rusty / full of sludge and has been neglected then the heater core is where all the crud will end up.

Try removing the hoses from the core and put a hosepipe to it. You should have no restriction in flow, and obviously it should be clean. On the mk2 it was very restricted and the water coming out was full of grit and silt. No amount of flushing would clear it out, so I had to replace it, although I had to pull the dash anyway, so fitting a new core was no problem. Pulling the dash on a mk3 is a most heinous task :?

right ok, cheers

the car doesnt over heat any more which is good, he will just have to put a jumper on for now :lol: