Sign in to follow this  
Swompy

Hot brake/rim and squeak

In the last couple of days I've noticed my rear left brake getting very hot which causes the rim to get hot as well. ( CazzaVR will agree, as he has felt it)

I took the wheel off this weekend to have a look, couldn't see anything wrong with it so re greased all the relevant parts with copper grease. But still getting hot today. :(

Also I've noticed in the last week or so that when I lift off the brake pedal after pressing it down all the way there is a squeak coming from that side of the car.

The brakes do feel slightly spongy and not as good as they could be.

Would it be a good idea to get a new caliper on there?

OR any other ideas

Thanks in advance

heat suggests excessive wear. would suspect caliper is siezing/not releasing properly, pull off and check discs/pads.

wheel bearing may be on the way out too.

anything to do with your rear end bump?

heat suggests excessive wear. would suspect caliper is siezing/not releasing properly, pull off and check discs/pads.

wheel bearing may be on the way out too.

anything to do with your rear end bump?

pads look fine bu the disc on the side facing the car has a lip of rust around the top, were it isnt being touched by the pads.

I'm due to go to DG a week friday to put new disc and bearings on the fronts but might put that off till next month and get them on the back insted.

im sure they will check over them for you.

jack the back left up and see how much play there is in the wheel. simple test for the barings.

if not then caliper is the most likely cause. sometimes just pushig the piston back in and pumping it out will cure the problem though

im sure they will check over them for you.

jack the back left up and see how much play there is in the wheel. simple test for the barings.

if not then caliper is the most likely cause. sometimes just pushig the piston back in and pumping it out will cure the problem though

Well I've just be on the phone to Graham and he says it sounds like the caliper is starting to seize :( he is going to find out about how much new calipers wil be then get back to me tomoro. Along with disc's, bearings and pads.

Will just have to take things slowly in the car for now :(

might be worth looking at an upgarde then. works out cheaper sometimes.

What to mk4 rears?

why would you need to replace the caliper just get a refurb kit from biggred on ebay costs about £27

Ya that is an option if the others work out to be too much.

why would you need to replace the caliper just get a refurb kit from biggred on ebay costs about £27

Ya that is an option if the others work out to be too much.

they do a pair of refurbed calipers for £125 and you send your buggered one's to them once youve changed em and they give you a refund of £36

simples :D

Just phone em up mate. Alternatively keep your eyes peeled for MK4 calipers. I got a 2nd hand set on eBay for £50 and then sorted out the conversion hoses for... er.... think they were about £30? Easy upgrade :)

Cool

I just looked on ebay for them but they dont have anything for sale

your rears must been the same as a vr6 ??

as fair as I'm aware they are

then look at this number on the bay 310176106546 and get purchasing :lol:

Thanks budy, will see what Graham comes back to me with then I wil take it from there

:salute:

Also - if you want a set of standard rear Corrado calipers to strip / refurb yourself, I've got a set in my garage you're welcome to have for free - I could probably even get them up to DG Autotech this weekend for you.. though if you covered my petrol money ;) They have been sat in a carrier bag on the floor for about 2 years so i've no idea what state they're in... but if you're stripping / rebuilding them, they'd probably be ok for that :)

Also - if you want a set of standard rear Corrado calipers to strip / refurb yourself, I've got a set in my garage you're welcome to have for free - I could probably even get them up to DG Autotech this weekend for you.. though if you covered my petrol money ;) They have been sat in a carrier bag on the floor for about 2 years so i've no idea what state they're in... but if you're stripping / rebuilding them, they'd probably be ok for that :)

Ok cheers Jim, like I said will se what Graham says and take it from there :D

Thanks for the help and info every one, this forum never fails to deliver and is full of great people :notworthy:

Found a set of caliper for the car now :D

Thanks to Drew's G60 as it is at DG right now ( think it is or will be ) and having new brakes on the back, so I'm going to buy the old ones :clap:

Apart from not driving it what else can I do to stop my brakes getting hot, untill I can get it to DG?

Sounds very much like a brake which has its quota of crud and corrosion, possibly sat with a full on handbrake for extended period which simply needs a bit of TLC.

ie a thorough clean up, bit of coppergrease film on sliding surfaces [except disc/pads of course]. Looking on the bright side, this is possibly all it needs!

If the heat build up is severe I'd try excercising the caliper slide and piston by levering the caliper back away from the disc, causing the piston to retract, while avoiding damage to friction pad. Follow this by footbrake operation to fully extend piston. Do this several times till movement is easier, then try it on the road.

I'm sure D&GA will sort it for you for the longer term.

Best of luck.

Sounds very much like a brake which has its quota of crud and corrosion, possibly sat with a full on handbrake for extended period which simply needs a bit of TLC.

ie a thorough clean up, bit of coppergrease film on sliding surfaces [except disc/pads of course]. Looking on the bright side, this is possibly all it needs!

If the heat build up is severe I'd try excercising the caliper slide and piston by levering the caliper back away from the disc, causing the piston to retract, while avoiding damage to friction pad. Follow this by footbrake operation to fully extend piston. Do this several times till movement is easier, then try it on the road.

I'm sure D&GA will sort it for you for the longer term.

Best of luck.

Thanks budy, have tryed most of that but will give it another go this weekend.

So basicly wind the caliper all the way in then press the brake pedel and do that a few times?

I'm off to DG a week friday ( pay day ) for new every thing for rear brakes. Wish I could go sooner tho :(

Hi Swompy

That's about the best I can say without seeing it directly.

Hope it gets you to Kidderminster OK.

Hi Swompy

That's about the best I can say without seeing it directly.

Hope it gets you to Kidderminster OK.

Cheers budy will give it ago this weekend

Well I think I've found one of the causes for my hot brake.

It looks like my handbrake isnt fully disconecting when I take it off :(

had a go at loosening it but dont seam to work, will just have to not use the handbrake untill friday and hope that stops it

and will have to get one of thos springs thats on the Audi A3 has on its handbrake, which Cazzavr was on about

Any one know the part number for that?