vagingit.co.uk

squeaking belts - talcum powder?

Ive read this on here, but does it actually work?

We have a rotational belt squeak on our G60, as you rev the engine, it gets faster and louder. I would normally change the belts, but two months ago, it had new alternator and cambelt/tensioner, both geuine VAG, so the belts are ok.

Does sprinkling talcum powder on them actally work to stop them squeaking?

Do I just cover them whilst the engine is running (not cambelt obviously), with no precautions?

I did it to my car twice after heavy rain. Talcum stopped squeacking noise for some miles only :?

What I did was to throw talcum on the belt directly with the engine on.

Needless to say I replaced that belt next week :lol:

Won't you have a bad bearing or something?

i dont like that fix... seems lazy and im unsure what would happen if it gets into your barrings, alternator ect. Also i find it difficult to not get it EVERYWHERE! you'll spend ages wiping it up afterwards

IMO the best way is to check the tension on the belt and if thats ok hold a lithium grease-stick against the belt while the engine is turning until the squeak goes. You can get belt dressings as a aerosol spray but i would't use that as it can leave a sticky residue.

hope that helps! :wave:

What you need is the talc to mix with water on the belt and make yourself a nice paste belt :D

Seriously it does work though, it stops instantly but the sqeaking soon returns :(

:lol: tipped talc all over the golf this am (must get down to ECP and pick up a new belt)

the WD40 wasn't a good idea, doesn't keep it quiet long and probably makes the belt itself worse,

engine smells very nice now with the talc on though, all flowery :camp:

Its possible a bearing has worn, but the guy I used to fit really knows what he's doing, and owns a Corrado G60 himself.

The squeaking wasnt there when the belts were replaced, but has come to light after the snow and ice weve had lately.

Where can I buy a can of belt dressing?

Suely if I put talcum powder on the belt, and the squeak goes, then it would show that the bearings are fine?

Its possible a bearing has worn, but the guy I used to fit really knows what he's doing, and owns a Corrado G60 himself.

The squeaking wasnt there when the belts were replaced, but has come to light after the snow and ice weve had lately.

Where can I buy a can of belt dressing?

Suely if I put talcum powder on the belt, and the squeak goes, then it would show that the bearings are fine?

yeah, but you'd cover your engine in talc.. :?

try WD40 first. It wont last long as a fix but it will tell you if it is just the belt slipping

We have a rotational belt squeak on our G60, as you rev the engine, it gets faster and louder. I would normally change the belts, but two months ago, it had new alternator and cambelt/tensioner, both geuine VAG, so the belts are ok.

Do I just cover them whilst the engine is running (not cambelt obviously), with no precautions?

Belt dressing is the stuff to use but are your belts actually Genuine / Conti-tech?

If you are running a smaller puller then you will need a slightly smaller belt or it will slip btw!

Gates belts are ok but don't last long on G60's before they get noisey - also check the 2 plastic idler pulleys, if these are original then they are probably past there best!

Belt dressing is the stuff to use but are your belts actually Genuine / Conti-tech?

If you are running a smaller puller then you will need a slightly smaller belt or it will slip btw!

Gates belts are ok but don't last long on G60's before they get noisey - also check the 2 plastic idler pulleys, if these are original then they are probably past there best!

Belts are definately genuine, bought from VW myself

Where can Belt dressing be bought, Im assuming Halfords doesnt do it?

I use (and still have a can of) this stuff:

http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp?PID=8385

Found that Rocol had on office in Coventry.. popped in there one Saturday and found they did retail sales but the guy behind the counter was much more used to selling to industrial clients and not car enthusiasts :) But it works a treat and shuts squeaky belts up quite quickly and as per the blurb also 'conditions' them to prolong life.