Sign in to follow this  
delcassidro

clutch problems

hi, i recently purchased a j reg corrado g60. It was in great cobition with full service and nothing needin done to it. I have been keeping the car in the garage until the weather was a bit better. :confused4:

However when i tried to take the car out 2day it started ok but i couldnt get it into gear. The clutch pedal then dissapeared into the footwell and wont come back unless i pull it back manualy... When the engine is off all gears can be engaged but the clutch still will not operate normally. Any ideas?

Yep, probably the slave cylinder has gone.

Its a little tube on the gearbox near the shifter tower (thing with cables), it's usually the slave cylinder that goes rather than the master, that's on the dash bulkhead next to the brake master cylinder and reservoir.

thanks for that. This is my first corrado and dont know to much about them yet. Is this an easy (cheap)fix for someone who knows what they r doing? As it wont go into gear i cant get it to a garage...

it's a pretty easy sort if it's only the slave - anyone with a bit of mechanical knowledge should be able to help if you can't sort it youself...

it's going to be worth keeping an eye on the master at thesame time though as they are certainly not known for their bulletproofness! - keep an eye on the fluid level for losses and in the drivers footwell for any small signs of leakage from the master. also prone to going porous with age are the flexi hoses. they are about £45ish from VW if i remember - if you're doing the slave it's worth changing that too if you can afford it.

now i've said that, i wouldn't bother with the flexi hose from vw - just rip out the old flexi and the hard line from themaster and replace the whole lot with a braided item straight from the master to the slave - if you do end up having to replace the master at any point, that will make your life a lot easier as ifyou want to keep it OEM, then you'll need to go making up new hard lines as well, as the masters have now been superseeded with a different VW part, meaning that the hardline comes off in a different place and that you need a new clutch pedal inside the car.

just ask if that's not clear or you need any more advice!

oh - and welcome to corrado ownership! :D

thanks for all your help, and welcome. I wasnt planing in runing the car until the summer so ive got plenty of time to get it fixed. Ive got no mechanical experience at all but im hopeing to learn some bits n pieces so this was really helpful. Do you know of any manuals out there for general maintenance?

This has just happened on my 1.8 16v - are they the same boxes?

Do you have to bleed the clutch/brakes to do this fix? Can it be done roadside easily ?

Needcar back on road quickly

Cheers

Any work on the hydraulics, brakes or clutch, will require some bleeding to purge all air out of the system or it won't work properly. Air is compressible, brake fluid is not.....that's the principle used.....therefor movement at one end (the pedal) results in equal movement at the other.

Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit.

Those of us who have some knowledge pass on this for purely altruistic reasons.

Corrado systems are like any other.

Understanding how things function is usually the basis of repairing them.

Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit.

Those of us who have some knowledge pass on this for purely altruistic reasons.

Corrado systems are like any other.

Understanding how things function is usually the basis of repairing them.

if i required knowledge of how hydraulics work then i would have googled it .

i did not ask for that info, i wanted to know if i split the clutch circuit does the brake circuit also require bleeding.

i also wanted to know if this was do-able on the road side or if i needed ramps etc.

you answered neither question,therfore your selfless concern for the welfare of others possibly leading to you incurring a loss for oneself was wasted,you should have spent a little more time reading my question then you would have deleted your post prior to hitting the submit button. Sarcastic enough for you !

For all those interested in the replacement details of the slave see below just over an hour to complete :wink:

i have removed the slave cylinder at the road side - easy

clamp flexi with mole grips or similar to reduce fluid loss, undo hydraulic pipe nut 12mm

put car into reverse gear to move gate out of way of the 2 13mm bolts holding slave to gearbox.

undo 2 bolts - the front one needs a wiggle

remove slave cylinder

replace new slave

fix hydraulics and top off reservoir

release mole grips and bleed slave ( 2 people makes this bit a little easier )

job done.