Sign in to follow this  
PaulMoVR6

Irregular Oil Temps

Recently i got my VR back on the road but i have noticed that the oil temp reading seems to have a mind of its own,

When i take it out for a run the oil temp will gradually rise as it should to about 100c it will then drop to 55c or so then back up then down and will sometimes show no reading atoll. Also the car can be left over night and ill go start it and the oil temp will read 60c or so straight away.

Is it just a matter of changeing the oil temp sensor? iam planning rewireing the conector to see if this helps, Do i require any special conector to rewire it or anything?, (i take it its the green wire which goes to the top of the oil fillter houseing?)

Has anyone no the part number for the sensor by any chance?

Thanks

Paul

Yeah green wire on the oil filter housing. Try cleaning up the connection first as you say because being at the front of the engine, it's quite prone to corrosion, which can affect the resistance.

Right i had a look at the sensor this afternoon as i was pulling the conector of the sensor the whole thing literaly crumbled away in my fingers it was so rotten with all sorts of crap,

so i have ordered a new sensor and connector from VDUB so i thought great thats the end of it, but i went to turn the ignition on so i could listen to the radio while i gave her a good polish and i had a wee check to see what the oil readout was saying it was reading 56c :scratch: i don't understand how it could be reading a temperature as the connector was not connected to the sensor. The temperature was again going up and down like a yo-yo after i had started the car. I have also had a problem with my coolant gauge not moveing on my dials i had replaced my dials a few weeks ago to see if that would solve it but nothing,

Could these problems be linked to something with the dials? Regulator or something? ill be fitting the new oil temp sensor tomorrow to see if that makes any difference,

Cheers

Paul

Strange, an open connection should put "-----" on the MFA display I would have thought.

Based on your other issues, I'm thinking perhaps you do have a cluster problem.

I remember a few years ago my rev counter was very erratic. If you take the cluster out, take the back off to get to the circuits within, you'll see a 3 pin voltage regulator soldered to the board up in the top right corner IIRC. I resoldered those joints as I think one or more of them had gone 'dry'.

The cluster has been perfect since.

Worth a shot. Sounds like you needed a new oil sender anyway after your crumbling action!

Yeah thats what i was expecting aswell when i disconected it, yeah it was completley goosed the connector and the sensor,

ill get a look at the dials tomorrow before college in the afternoon,

Iam picking up the sensor tomorrow from VDUB and ill see whats what,

Can you just buy the 3pin voltage regulator from the dealers kev? iam not to hot with auto electrics,

O come to think of it my ambient temp sensor is showing 50c aswell iam staring to think all problems are related

Had a look at the dials tonight they seem ok no "dry" connections or anything,

Can you buy a regulator for the dials? or iam i talking crap

Its just all my problems are simmilar, no coolant temp movement, irratic oil temp and completly wrong temp for the ambient sensor

any advice appreciated

Paul

I'm not sure a dealer can supply you with a voltage reg, but they do sell some individual components for the cluster, so may be worth asking anyway.

My regulator didn't need replacing, I just resoldered the joints and it did the trick.

They're fairly standard parts those regulators, so Maplins or RS will sell them and they're cheap!

I would also check the big round connector on the side of the engine block (behind coilpack) as all the engine sensors and grounds pass through that. Many of them are gold plated but check anyway for corrosion and / or damaged wires etc.

I have to say, cluster problems are extremely rare on the Corrado, so it could be something obvious if it's affecting 3 gauges! What about the MPH, rev counter, fuel guage etc? Are they behaving normally?

ok i see, i have managed to get another set of dials ill put them in and see whats what,

The issue with the coolant temp gauge was the same as the oil in a way it would rocket up off the top of the scale even with the 3 temp sensors on the houseing unplugged and the header tank connector unplugged it would still rocket up like the oil temp has now been doing, the issue with the ambient sensor is the car had its original sensor missing so i wired up and it shot straight up to 50c and won't budge. All three are very simmilar problems though, this has got me seriously stumped :scratch:

Rev counter and speedo are working fine no issues with them same with the fuel gauge.

Paul

ok update time

i have tried another cluster in the dash but the same problems are still there :mad2: , the oil temp will still register even though the sensor is not wired up, the ambient temp is still the same. My coolant gauge will now rocket up to 110c even though the car has been sat all day, so thats the two sets of dials that aint working, i have checked both clusters for any signs of wear or tear but both seem fine.

I have checked the wires in the pack that sit behind the coilpack all seem good,

If any one can shed some light on where to go from here it would be greatly appreciated anything that can be checked or any advice?

Regards

Paul

i've been experienceing the same since I bought my car 3 years ago. I've replaced

-oil temp sender

-clocks

-wiring from sender to clocks

and stilll the same :pukeright:

What is the best way to wire up the oil temp sensor? Any suggestions?

cheers

the wire that you want to rewire goes from the temperatur sensor to the back of the fusebox's connector G2, pin 1(black / green).

then, looking (again) at the back of the fusebox, connector U1 , pin 1 (balck / white), takes this signal to the clocks megaplug,pin 17.

apart from this, you can find new speedo voltage regulators, but I can't remember where from :( maybe a quick google "voltage regulator golf speedo" shows you the answer :)

I hope you get it fixed :wink:

ok so you have eliminated the cluster by substituing with a known good one, and the temp sensor has been replaced, i would say your fault will lie in the wiring, and the fact that it is the oil temp coolant temp that are the issues, i would first start checking connector under the bonnet,for corroded terminal this can cause resitance in the wiring causuing these irratic temp readings, i would try and locate a wirind diagram, and trace the wires back.

ok so you have eliminated the cluster by substituing with a known good one, and the temp sensor has been replaced, i would say your fault will lie in the wiring, and the fact that it is the oil temp coolant temp that are the issues, i would first start checking connector under the bonnet,for corroded terminal this can cause resitance in the wiring causuing these irratic temp readings, i would try and locate a wirind diagram, and trace the wires back.

hey,

it was done too :( but the problem still remains there. May I plug the oil temp. sender wire to the coolant temperature sender? I mean, swap them, so I can read oil temp. reading on the coolant temp gauge? or.. are they different rated or something?