Sign in to follow this  
colinstubbs

Mk4 rear caliper corrosion removal by electrolysis?!!!

Right I got a pair of used Mk4 rear calipers off e-bay recently and one of them looks virtually brand new and the other deffo doesn't!! I degreased the pair with some 3-in1 foaming citrus stuff and a brush and the good one has been rubbed over with some metal polish on a rag, the other is gonna need something stronger.

stromlaufplan_gamma4.pdfMK4 calipers 003 (Large).jpg[/attachment:2v5w89xc]

Corrado92.pdfMK4 calipers 005 (Large).jpg[/attachment:2v5w89xc]

passat climatronic wiring diags.pdfMK4 calipers 009 (Large).jpg[/attachment:2v5w89xc]

climatronic wiring-Golf from May 01.pdfMK4 calipers 010 (Large).jpg[/attachment:2v5w89xc]

2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdfMK4 calipers 012 (Large).jpg[/attachment:2v5w89xc]

MK4 calipers 014 (Large).jpg[/attachment:2v5w89xc]

I intend to have a go at removing the corrosion by electrolysis using info from THIS LINK (there's loads more out there!).

I apprecaite Ally is quite soft so I'll have to be careful ie checking it every 5-10 minutes as opposed to 10 hours like you might with steel items, intend it may only need 15 minutes or so - famous last words :ignore: !!

It's been mentioned here before but no-one appears to have put up any pics if they've done it. :shrug:

So, I've decided to give it a go, trying not to dissolve my caliper in the process, and bang up some pics of the results!!

Just so's you know

:epicfail: with just a Halfords battery charger - as it was raining the next day and I couldn't be ar$ed with digging out a battery from a car I just lecky drill and wirebrushed it! :lol: :lol:

Got some special paint primer on them and then they're getting the Hammerite treatment! 8)

Originally did it with 3-in-1 citrus degreaser agitated with a nylon brush then clean off with water. I got a bit of bubbling as expected when I applied the 12v current but it was very fine and not very effective! The current barely registered on the charger's ammeter, :camp: it wasn't exactly 4-6amps like I expected :lol:

Using a car battery as well may have made a difference, I'll try with the mk3 calipers when they come off, they're steel so it maybe a better result, be nice if I can get it to work, could try some rusty tools i guess, must have some somewhere!! :lol: :lol: