Sign in to follow this  
VR6Bella

Broken HT lead - help!

Corrado VR6 hasn't been running quite straight and so throught now is about time to change the HT leads.

Issue is that the first lead was fine but the second lead that I have tried to remove has resulted in the lead seperating from the metal cap, so I now have a lead out and the bottom of the lead still on the spark plug. :( This would be fine exept that while trying to remove it the plastic tool designed for removing HT leads has broken, one tooth has removed leaving only one tooth to pull on the lead which isn't working! :pale:

Any ideas on how to remove the HT lead metal cap, while buried on the plug, with only 1/2 a tool to get to it??

05022010073.jpg[/attachment:2kbxqx0c]

Ah I don't have any - and cannot get to shops as rado was my main transport! I have tried long nose pliers but these aren't long enough to get hold of the rubber top.

This is going to sound mad but I have used it as a bodge before :shock:

Cut a peice of rubber garden hose and stick it in boiling hot water until soft. Quickly ram it over the cap and allow it to cool down and go rigid again. Gently pursuade the cap to give way by pulling and twisting.

I was lucky and managed to get the broken cap off first time.

That sounds possible - I don't have a hose but my next door neighbour does!

I'll give it a go now and let you know how I get on!

Nope - I must have the wrong type of hose! (and it isn't often that a girl gets to say that!)

Any other ideas along those lines would be good?

Exactly what I thought but so far cotton, parcel string and thin wire (don't have any fatter wire) have all broken.

I think it might be stuck!

This maybe a daft question. But wouldnt the correct plug removal tool fit over the top of that?

it will but my tool has lost one of the two 'teeth' and so it'll pull but it comes off before the plug comes out. I tried jamming the tool over the top of the string and the hose pipe but neither worked.

if there is an idea as to how to fix the tool below (tooth on top is the one missing) any ideas would be great. I have ordered a new one (metal over plastic!)

05022010077.jpg[/attachment:2kbrm9ta]

Maybe a spark plug socket wedged onto the top?

Or maybe remove some of the plastics to get a better angle on the plug cap with those long nose pliers