Sign in to follow this  
CazzaVR

KR Throttle body won't return to stop

My 16v sometimes feels a bit like it wants to stall, rather like the old dip the clutch problem on the VR6. after some investigation, I've noticed that it usually won't return to the stopper, thus not activating the idle microswitch. The the cable may be knackered, so changed it tonight, and it still does it :bad-words: Took the top of the linkage apart, and it returns to the stop when the cable isn't attached. I've adjusted the cable with the little clip, and it makes no difference at all- still refusing to move the whole way. Just can't work out which bit is at fault.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

weak springs? as you've already tried, it's usually a worn throttle cable,

you could try washing all the spring mech down with petrol or WD40, gets a lot of gritty oily crud in there over the years, the springs need to be strong enough to drag the throttle cable that last little bit and they all seem pretty weak as they come close to pressing the microswitch.

Yeah weak springs... as long as the butterfly is moving freely.

My mate had this on a Golf that had done mega miles (220K I think) - fairly sure he just swapped the TB to resolve it.

KR throttle bodies come up pretty regular mate nice and cheap.. And not that painful to swap :)

This happened to my KR too. You should try to adjust the idle switch. It's attached to the TB with 3 little screws IIRC. Unbolt them and move the microswitch until you see it gets in contact with the other part :) a 5minutes job, that (at least for me) allowed using A.C. in the city/traffic jams, etc. without the car stalling :lol:

Thanks guys. Just moved the throttle switch forwards (good tip!), but it's still not quite touching. Will take it all apart and give it a good clean.

Can you buy springs separately?

I would gently spray wd40 in the TBmechanism, just to try :)

if you push the tb against the microswitch.. do they get in contact??

Yeh, they do...

Yeh, they do...

then it will be a matter of lubricattion I think... sorry, can't think of anything else..