Sign in to follow this  
delfinis38

tips on polishing....

sorry mods if this is in the wrong slot !

spent the afternoon polishing the rado... just wondering if anyone can give me some advice on a better technique....

I'm using a clarke polisher / sander which i bought from machine mart. (big thing that looks like an angle grinder but has variable speeds 1 - 8 ). I'm using a foam head.

I'm rinsing the panels down with a leather then applying autoglem with a cloth (maybe not the best stuff to use but that's what's in the garage) and farcia G6 in the rougher places, front bumper etc....

I'm then spraying the panels and foam pad with a water from one of the garden sprayer's and polishing the panel on the slowest speed, then buffing off on about speed 3. this seems to work, but gets the body work warm - is this okay ?

I would like to ramp the speed up a bit especially on the bonnet but am a bit scared to incase i burn the paint work... Assuming a faster speed will get some of the swirls out on the bonnet.. not that it's that bad.

What speed should i be running the polisher at ????

Anyone got some advice on what to do... I'm not after a show'n'shine finish. :D

I've polished my 40 foot Yacht (GRP) for the last 10 years with the polisher but never used it on the car !

I'm taking it very cautious ! hence asking !

I've polished my 40 foot Yacht (GRP) for the last 10 years with the polisher but never used it on the car !

I'm taking it very cautious ! hence asking !

Have a look over on Detailing World. Theres loads on info on there.

I personally would get someone to come and detail the car and give you some tuition at the same time. Theres so much to learn and lots that can go wrong.

spray water on each panel one at a time, apply farcia G3 to each panel. use the polisher on speed 3 being careful not to get too carried away on the edges!! as this could burn through the paint, keep polishing untill all G3 has dissapeared, then next panel etc... then wash car throughly to remove all G3 residue, chamois off and polish with autogleam super resin

G3 is far too coarse to be practising with and will leave a crap finish. Have a look at Menzerna intensive polish to start and get a soft polishing head (something like the 3m yelllow waffle head).. Foam is rough and will remove loads of paint if your not careful.

Find and old car to practise on. Your Corrados too nice to wreck.

Id give you a demo if you were a bit nearer.

Only intend used G6 on the bottom of the front bumper, and the 2 side panels of the rear bumper where you get the muck chucked up. not intending to use it elsewhere. results so far look okay.

thanks for the advice.