Sign in to follow this  
A5 VRX

Top mount question

Well my VR6 was working spot on until 1 day when the top mounts started 'knocking' when you are static turning, so bought some new VAG top mounts and bearings and fitted them this afternoon. The old bearings looked rusty so thought result! Put it all back together and the car now feels really good, except theres still that knocking!! Any ideas, cars running on coilovers but not stupid low, and it never did it before?

Cheers

Adam

Well i didn't fit them to the car first off, previous owner got a garage to do it so just assembled in the reverse order i took things off in the end it was, (fitting back on the car)

Coilover

Bearings

Top strut mount

Nut

Onto the car then

Top plate

Nut

Take it this is wrong? As you descibe above thats what it's doing!

Chhers mate

Adam

sounds right but clearly has a problem,when you had the coilovers off did you see if the top mount moves freely? possibly have a look at the coilover and get someone to turn the car lock to lock?

the nut that holds the top mount on, how tight is that meant to be then, i tightened it as much as it would? Does it just need to be finger tight?

Cheers bud

the nut that holds the top mount on, how tight is that meant to be then, i tightened it as much as it would? Does it just need to be finger tight?

Cheers bud

It needs to be tight,what type of top mount nut do you have? the one that looks like a nut or the one with tow cut outs that a special tool is needed?

Anyone, dont know why this has suddenly come about. It started after i greased the threads on the coilovers, but that surely must be coincidence?

Oh James, i'll be in Durham this weekend, love it up there!

Cheers

cheack the bolt that goes between the suspension and the mount the mount as it might be lose.

It is below the metal/brass plate of the top mount and is sort of like a tube that threards onto to the suspension and sits inbetween that and the top mount.

I had a knocking from my suspension after new top mounts and thats what was causing mine.

Anyone, dont know why this has suddenly come about. It started after i greased the threads on the coilovers, but that surely must be coincidence?

Oh James, i'll be in Durham this weekend, love it up there!

Cheers

If your around durham mate give us a shout,are you driving the raddo?

Dont think so? Put the 'covered' end of the bearing to the top, into the top mount. Another thing is when i took the nut holding the top mount in place off one side the spring stayed in it's place, the other side (which i'm sure is the one making the noise) when you took the nut off the spring decompressed and you could remove it

cheers

Adam

The one that holds the top mount onto the bearing? I tightened that fully...

cheers

Yeah it holds the bearing to the cone shaped piece that sits ontop of the coilover spring. I think the nut is able to slip through the top mount - but thats neither here nor there. But if you tighten the nut to much you could destory the bearing, which is what i did. But also it could make it hard for it to turn.

Cheers mate, i'll take it off and loosen it a little and see if that cures it

Thanks

Adam

what bloody tool do people use for that little bit on top of the bearing with the 2 cut outs?

want tobodge cba to buy anymore tools ....

cheers, need help asap please got my car jacked up on the drive atm, and its not insured also so cant be there too long.... aha..

thanks alot, Aidan

if you can take the pressure off the spring then it will come off easier. is it on standard suspension? if so you need to compress the spring. if its on coilovers then drop the bottom plate down.

long nose pliers may help you or as you are doing with a screwdriver and hammer

You bought it where?

aha and sound for that...

Also, i gave up as i couldnt get it off and stuck the coilie on without the top mount and now it wont drive, doesnt send power to the wheels or its getting mashed somewere, makes some dodgey cruncing noises and doesnt go anywere, as if my gear box is mullard....

Anyone know whats happend and i know it was a bad idea anyway but i have no insurance so i couldnt leave my car jacked up on the side of the road...

Thanks

Much appreciated.

You bought it where?

aha and sound for that...

Also, i gave up as i couldnt get it off and stuck the coilie on without the top mount and now it wont drive, doesnt send power to the wheels or its getting mashed somewere, makes some dodgey cruncing noises and doesnt go anywere, as if my gear box is mullard....

Anyone know whats happend and i know it was a bad idea anyway but i have no insurance so i couldnt leave my car jacked up on the side of the road...

Thanks

Much appreciated.

sounds like a CV joint has broken.