Sign in to follow this  
Dr Forinor

Spoiler motor - Carbon brushes issue

I know I know this spoiler motor thing has been done to death but I cant find the answer I'm looking for.

I finally got around to opening up the spoiler motor (after around 3 years of disconnecting it as it was straining to go up/down fully in the one go).

Opened up the motor casing, gave both metal parts a tap on the ground to get rid of the loose dirt, only to find the carbon brushes just fell out. There is nothing left of the carbon brushes.

Any ideas where I go from here? Can I buy these brushes? How hard would it be to fit these brushes to the connecting wires? Is it worth doing?

Whilst I'm asking, the thermoswitch (the green bit I've read?), how does it come away? Does it just pull away?

Any advice please?

Just get a whole new assembly from a broken Corrado mate. Brush wires are usually welded on or mechanically connected somehow.

And yep, a new assembly from VW (includes motor) is, you guessed it, the usual blanket price of £500!

And yep, a new assembly from VW (includes motor) is, you guessed it, the usual blanket price of £500!

Bargain!! I'll take 2!

Just get a whole new assembly from a broken Corrado mate. Brush wires are usually welded on or mechanically connected somehow.

The thing is, whenever I get the motor asembly, I will be making sure I take it apart and clean it before putting it in my car, as it makes sense to do it whilst it's out. What if the same happens again? Is the same likely to happy again?

And funny you say that about the dealer prices, I enquired not too long ago and the reply I got was "we have no price as its not available any more".....

You know the metal tubes the cables slide in and out to raise the spoiler? It's those that need particular attention mate. The cables have little nylon or polyester rings around them to make them slippery but they still bind in the metal tubes over time.

Strip it all down, thoroughly clean and reassemble with a decent grease. I use Silkolene synthetic grease and it's excellent - http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-824-silkole ... uctDetails

When reassembling, be careful not to misalign the two 'racks' where the micro switches are or the spoiler will lift unevenly. VW didn't use a whole lot of grease at the factory, but you can, and therefore prevent it happening again.

I enquired about the mechanism last year I think as I needed a small part and was told it was £500 and you can't buy any of the components seperately, but I wouldn't be surprised in the least if they've obsoleted it now.

Siezed cables is the only thing that upsets the motor. Sort the cables and the motor will live a long and stress free life. Mine is perfect still after 16 years!

And you're sure the cables are the cause of a distressed motor? And that you havent just been lucky with a special long-life motor? :tongue:

So really what you're saying is, leave the motor, dont open the casing, sort the cables and that should be it?

Yep, defo the cables.

Fuse 15 (IIRC) kept blowing when ever the spoiler lifted, which was a pain at night as it also took out the dashboard lighting aswell.

When I stripped it all down, moving the cables by hand was stiff as heck, which obviously caused the motor to overload and blow the fuse.

i have an issue with my spoiler, it started to go up in little bits, and now it doesnt move at all, even when trying to use the switch. i can move the motor by hand and its not stiff or anything.

when the switch is pressed there is no noise or anything from the motor itself.

i have checked fuse 16 and 21 and thier not gone.

any other ideas what i should do?

Looks like this thread is going to run and run! My spoiler would creak like a sound effect from a Hammer Horror film when going up and down. Now it's stuck in the up position. You can hear the motor trying to move the spoiler when the switch is used. Any opinions?

Wonder if you can find companies that can refurbish the motors with new brushes, etc? Surely there must be a market for that for R/C car enthusiasts, etc who spend hundreds on high quality motors.

A lot of R/C enthusiasts have the tools to refurb motors, brushes etc. its not that difficult. Although brushless technology has been around for a while now.

when my spoiler failed on my last C i simply bought a complete tailgate off ebay for a fiver (£20 in fuel to collect) and swapped over the bits.