Sign in to follow this  
muppetlab

Broken VF VR6 Front Mount

Having changed all the engine mounts i was very annoyed when the knocking returned recently and the bonnet began to look like a banana again. On closer inspection turned out the front mount which i replaced about 4 months ago has broken. It was a brand new vf mount and the bolt that goes through the top had snapped just above the poly bush. Fortunately i was able to take it apart and using a stainless bolt i had about mend said VF mount temporarily. I assumed that the bolt that snapped was maybe 8.8 tensile but turns out it was 12.9 which is pretty strong. Has anyone else had this problem? I only use my car on the road and although i give it some beans now and again i thought these were racing spec mounts :(

Is there anything stronger than a 12.9 bolt or should i just drill out the mount and brackets and go up a bolt size? dont want this happening again. cheers jez

12.9 is brake caliper bolt grade IIRC, so should be plenty strong enough.

Not heard of a VF front mount going. Maybe speak to them about it and they might send you a new one?

I might contact them as looking at where the bolt snapped it looks a bit pore marked like a rough cast. not what i would have thought high tensile steel should look like. Might have been a faulty bolt. Will see what they say. Unfortunately i dont have a receipt as i bought it of this forum as a brand new unused item. Still i would have thought they might be interested from a product development perspective.