Sign in to follow this  
joby

Gas flowing throttle body on valver, is it worth it?

Just finishing of my 9a conversion from kr and wondered if you get much of a noticeable gain from flowing the throttle body and what tools have you used on a standard drill or do i need a dremell or the likes :)

Every little helps!

I fitted one to my G60 and she feels abit sharper when you put the foot down but i wouldnt say she's up on power!

22767_1211730777702_1361757336_30484708_6820321_n.jpg

I bought it done already but i think a dremell was used

So how would you go about doing this?

Just get a drill or dremell with a polishing head and just polish it all smooth :shrug:

no, don't think it makes any difference at all, still I smoothed mine, especially where the two pieces join and create steps, and I flattened the screw heads down and waisted the butterfly supports, from head flowing information posted up on club GTI, I don't think the 16v throttle is a restriction in the inlet system anyway, but it can't do any harm as long as you don't take tons of material off around the butterflys - you might make the throttle response very snappy ON/OFF then.

throttle_body_800img.jpg[/attachment:299y8j2x]

i made this years ago - two throttle body halves welded together, and the manifolded adjusted to suit.......difference in power???

as dave says... none, live & learn eh :lol:

i made this years ago - two throttle body halves welded together, and the manifolded adjusted to suit.......difference in power???

:lol:

Nice bit of work there tho :notworthy: shame it didnt pay off

what about the "improvement in throttle response" that I hear people talk about?

what about the "improvement in throttle response" that I hear people talk about?

well tbh i'd looked around for a webber fire breather for ages, and that double arrangement was me trying to make something similar, that creation and my tests weren't very scientific, the problem i had is the TB alloy is so soft that the apertures distorted when they were welded, so when i inserted the butterfly's they didn't match perfectly and i had 1500rpm idle :)

the throttle response didn't feel any better (from a 1500 rpm idle :lol: ) but i was more interested in better in gear accelleration and top end, neither of which felt any better, pretty subjective i admit, maybe its because i'm always concious of imagining gains that aren't there :shrug:

if i was doing it again i'd get a machine shop to make the apertures perfectly circular and then get butterfly's fabbed to suit, maybe in conjunction with greater displacement and p&p'd head it would have worked better, all i was running at the time was a four branch and the exhaust cam mod.

ive heavily dremeled mine , sanded back as much as i dare and smoothed out

cant notice jack tbh ...spend your money on something else imo