Sign in to follow this  
jma

Engine Mounts

Hi Guys

I was changing my oil on the weekend and noticed that the metal cup which holds the front engine mount had sheared :shock: . It was help by two nuts, the third being just stuck. I am not driving the car, should I replace all the engine mounts (sorry dont know how many there are I am a newbie) is this something easy to fix? and how much will it cost. Cheers

Whats the engine? There the front mount, gearbox mount and rear engine mount. Does the engine have a lot of play if you physically rock it back and foward or while revving it? If you drove it much after the front mount had given up your rear mounts would wear quicker as there would be more relative movement of the engine in the bay. Mounts aren't that much of a difficult job (my experience of 8v and 16V) so might be worth doing them all and being safe.

May as well change them all. Pretty straight forward, although the rear mount can be fiddly. Took me less than 30 mins at a leisurely pace to change my front mount, and about an hour and a half to change the other two (did them at the same time).

Agreed. I fitted a solid front, 1.3 g box mount and new rear mount. You shouldn't have too much trouble as long as nothing snaps etc!

Hi

thanks for the advice, my corrado has a VR6 Engine will the front mount be a easy job (I just need to replace the metal cup that fits the mount and not the mount itself). Is it possible to drive it to the garage with this problem. :)

Hi

thanks for the advice, my corrado has a VR6 Engine will the front mount be a easy job (I just need to replace the metal cup that fits the mount and not the mount itself). Is it possible to drive it to the garage with this problem. :)

Front mount is dead easy, support engine on jack and replace. Cheap from GSF too.

Don't drive hard or far - some VR6s have a "reverse" dent in the bonnet where the engine hits the inside from having a broken front mount!

Should notice an improvement in gearchange and smoothness when you replace them.

Are you talking about the metal cup that fits from underneath? Hole in the middle?