OSV

Heat resistant paint on discs (non braking surfaces)

I've just bought myself some new dust shields and brake discs all round. I intend to get the shields powdercoated in black for extra protection but what about the discs. I want the non braking surfaces around the outer egde and the hub painted up to prevent unsightly rusting, has anyone used or know of any suitable paint or products they can recomend. :?:

Brake caliper paint is great for this use... 8) Available all over the place in a range of colours.... 8)

God, that sounded like an advert didn't it?!? :? :roll: :lol:

I would just use black smoothrite, but DO NOT paint the face of the disc which the wheel mounts to, the paint may become soft when brakes are used and wheel will then become loose. Tip is to slowly spin the disc whilst holding the brush next to the bit you are painting, the finish will then be like glass (if you know what i mean). Used this on my 69 bug, granted only for show use but has been on for three years now. :)

Thanks for the replies. I have got some aluminium paint manufactured by a company caled 'Rustins' which funnily enough is the last thing I want to happen :wink: Afriend used this on his callipers with excellent results and i'm intending to do my callipers too. The paint is branded as heat resistant and quotes a figure of 105 deg C. Will this be suitable on the discs also :?:

mmm... Brakes can happily get to 2 or 3 hundred degrees C under SERIOUS braking manouvers... I've boiled the brake fluid in a MKII golf GTI before now, and that was rated at 250Deg C! :crazyeyes:

For the slight extra, I'd go for some proper caliper paint that should be rated to about 250/300 degrees and won't cause you any problems what-so-ever... 8)

this all depends on your style of driving of course! :wink: :roll: :lol:

mmm... Brakes can happily get to 2 or 3 hundred degrees C under SERIOUS braking manouvers... I've boiled the brake fluid in a MKII golf GTI before now, and that was rated at 250Deg C! :crazyeyes:

For the slight extra, I'd go for some proper caliper paint that should be rated to about 250/300 degrees and won't cause you any problems what-so-ever... 8)

this all depends on your style of driving of course! :wink: :roll: :lol:

LOL, Was that round brans hatch?

Was it Kip that did this a few years back, i seem to remember someone beginning with a K spraying bits of the discs. Am sure it was the couple on here that had a few corradi ;)

That's gotta be the oldest thread exhumation ever!

Probably a moot point now anyway as discs come ready painted these days.

Well seeing as though it's up I black hammerite all my bits , looks better than the ****ty rust that develops , the only place I wouldn't bother painting is the outside perimeter of the disk , not worth it and won't last

Hope that helps now I'm off back to the future :)