Sign in to follow this  
cardboard

final problem - no power to doors? see page 2

so after being a way for a few weeks and leaving my poor car in the rain i have come back to a few problems! they might all be linked to a similar thing but im not sure!

1) the door membrane had come away causing the car to fill up with water :( - this is now sorted

2) the central locking no doesnt work - getting a new alarm soon so will get them to look at this.

3) the drivers door unlocks with the key but the passenger one wont unlock? consequently i cannot open this door?

4[strike:1lhlll9h]) the boot latch wont engage when closed, i have tried spraying WD40 on it but to no avail? does this require a new mehcnism?[/strike:1lhlll9h]

cheers for any assistance!

try spraying bothe door handles and working the key in them, i had a fsulty pass door handle and it prevented the door locking from the driver side,alternatively check fuses, and remove door cards you can bridge the central locking microswitch to see which handle is faulty.

they key goes in the passenger door fine but will only turn to 45 degrees and wont unlock the door? i cant get the door card off with the door closed can i??

the drivers side works fine but doest trigger the central locking thats all

they key goes in the passenger door fine but will only turn to 45 degrees and wont unlock the door? i cant get the door card off with the door closed can i??

the drivers side works fine but doest trigger the central locking thats all

lift the lock pin up on the passenger side,on top of the door card and pull the interior handle the door will open.

just made my day :lol:

lol i have tried this! but thanks anyway, that doesnt work either i cant pull it up enough i might have to try and do it with some pliers or summat

Is the central locking pump working? Take the vacuum tube off the central locking pump and have a suck/blow on it and see if the pin moves when you do that. It could also be a fuse, or a broken wire from the drivers door handle.

im really lost with this now! even using pliers i cant pull the pin up? surely the fuse or broken wire wont prevent me lifting it manually

reemove both door cards and remove the microswitch connector for the door handle, then try and lift the door pin up, do one at a time and find which handle is faulty, this hass happened to me before, one of the microswitches is duff, and you cant pull the pin up and open the door.

ok try disconnecting the drivers side 1st, and then try cycling the key on the passenger door to unlock it, there could be two issues, the microswictch is faulty in either door handles,casuing it to saty down, or the passenger lock has seized, does the pin feel like when you lift it up it want to pull back down again?

i have the drivers door card off, the passenger pin feels like someone is pulling it back down! i can lift it slightly but i think thats just the metal link flexing maybe?

basically i can move the pin slightly but never enough such that when i pull the handle inside or outside the car i feel any resistance. :(

the car was sat for a good 6 weeks while i was out of the country......

The door not opening problem is common on VWs...

What's happened is that the mechanism that the exterior door handle presses on to open the door has become stuck half way... this means that you can't lift the inner lock catch, and can't turn the key... you get the same effect when some muppet passenger tries to open the door while you're unlocking it, the lock won't operate while the handle is pulled out...

To rectify it is pretty easy, get a steel ruler and gently put it between the outside of the glass and the outer window rubber above the door lock... feed it down gently until it's approximately above the lock on the exterior door handle.... now mash it around a shed load in the hope that you're going to hit the correct part of the lock mechanism... :nuts:

Sounds mad, I know, but it DOES work...

Once you've hit the correct bit of the mechanism, it'll move it back to it's proper resting place and allow you to unlock the door with either the key, or by pulling the interior lock pull. IMMEDIATELY you've got the door open, take the external door handle off and spray the door mechanism with white grease, then activate the mechanism in every way with your finger through the hole until there's no tight spots. Put the door handle back on again and you're sorted... one fully working, unlocking door... :)

im about to go away on holiday :D :D :D so this will have to wait but thank you very much and i will let you know how i get on!!!

just been out to have a go! i couldnt wait ive been smashing about with the ruler but to no avail! i think this might be really siezed :( ive had a look at the drivers side and i know what i need to move though which is useful!

have we got any ex cons here?? i need on of these so i can really force the lever up!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slim_Jim_(lock_pick)

lever goes DOWN, not up... ;) you're not trying to unlock the door, you're trying to replicate the exterior door handle releasing after it's been opened...

If you can get it off without damaging it, it may be worth trying to take off the outer rubber seal and then spraying WD40/plusgas down towards the mechanism...

If you lived closer to Congleton, I'd pop over and sort it as I've become a dab hand at doing this as the one on my Corrado has done it a few times over the last 3 years while it's been stationary... :roll:

oooo ok so its not that i cant unlock it its that it things the handle is open and as such wont unlock! i get u now! ill do some harder hammering!!

im not far from you, only hartford, so if i get nowhere when i get back from holiday i might be forced to pop round! i thought about using plusgas, i swear that stuff is incredible, but wasnt sure about removing the weather deflector without damaging it! ill have some more goes at hammering with the ruler when i get back cheers

..and now you've got it, I'd bet that you could do it again in just a couple of minutes, no? ;)

It's definitely a knack that you have to learn rather than one that can be explained... :? :lol:

Glad you got in though... now take the handle off the door and get busy with the plus gas and white grease so it doesn't happen again! ;) 8)

yeah i recon it would take me five minutes lol!

ive abused the interior of both doors with plusgas and grease! she should be fine for a while!

thanks

FINAL PROBLEM I HOPE

Basically the central locking does not activate when i turn the key in either the driver side or passengers side, also neither windows will go up or down and the mirrors wont work.

i have checked all my fuses and none appear to be broken? is there a specific one that controls these functions so i can double check or does anyone know what this problem might be?

Thanks