Sign in to follow this  
20v turbo

G60 clutch problem

clutch has gone on my c,i took the clutch out and there were no obvius sines of wear,preasure plate seemed ok so i replaced the slave cylinder as this looked a bit worse for were.i know its not the master cylinder because i changed this not so long ago.anyway put it all back together and f**k me it doesnt work :mad: .the problem started when i was driving home the other night i depressed the clutch and when i released it the pedal only came half way back up but not enough to drive,i lifted it with my foot and it was ok for the next 6-7 gear changes and then it did it again and again and again till eventually the f**cking thing stoped working all together :mad: :mad: .so the end result it i can put the car in gear and there is no drive at all .

any help would be mutch appreciated

cheers :( :( :mad: :mad:

Def sounds like hydrolic prob - losing pressure, check the master and slave again, bleed the slave and check for leaks

I disagree... It can't be a hydraulic problem if the clutch NEVER bites... If the clutch hydraulics fail, then in effect, you can't press the clutch peddle so you can't make the clutch release. If the clutch is permanently released (IE you can put it into any gear with the engine running without the car moving anywhere or the box grinding) then the friction plate has worn out, the release plate's springs have gone (so it's always released) or the shaft that the release bearing is on has jammed creating the effect of always having the peddle pressed down... or worse, you've killed the gearbox's input shaft... :?

From what was said about it going weird before hand, my bet is on the release bearing mechanism having jammed/twisted causing it to lock on keeping the clutch released... :?

I said hydraulic that because of the pedal not returning ie losing pressure, so maybe it was the slave cyl that cuased it... (how does the pedal feel now after the new slave - does it return better and more positively??)

Like Henny says as its not enging at all now, mabe the release bearing got jammed or the fork bent as a result of the slave going and the car being driven - were you having to really push / jam it into gear???

yeah yeah.... :p

I neva sed I cud spel... :roll: :lol: :wink:

*makes mental note - AL not LE... *

the pedal retuns by its self now but still no drive ,anyway im fitting the g60 flywheel and clutch back on as soon as i get the bits from the stealers.reading on vw vortex last night and the 1.8T clutches sound like they are cr*p anyway,iread loads of comments about them failing befor the cars had reached 20k so i think it would be better to dump the dual mass heap of sh*t flywheel and clutch and just stick with good old solid one piece flywheel ,clutch.much cheaper too

ill be taking the box of again tomorrow and lets hope henny not right about it being the input shaft :mad:

cheers for your help though guys :wink:

henny knows best 8)

I'd never go as far as to say that... If I did, my car would have been back on the road 26 weeks ago... :roll: :lol:

ill be taking the box of again tomorrow and lets hope henny not right about it being the input shaft

Good luck... I hope I'm wrong about that too! :? I'd have thought it more likely that the clutch has collapsed than you've broken the box... hope you get it sorted PDQ with as little hassle as possible though... 8)

Andy dont get that G60 clutch. There is a thread on here somewhere about the VR6 clutch being cheaper, having stronger springs, and being a direct replacement for a G60 clutch! Hope this info isnt to late for you. :roll:

(Whats that now Andy, two buckled alloys, set-up problems and now this! :( :( These things always come in groups. At least when your out at Daytona you can forget about your C for a week!! :) :) Its still an ace motor. People took more pictures of your engine install than anything else at the rr day. :D :lol: :D :lol: )

cai

too late mate all ready ordered it anyway the vr6 clutch is only a couple of £cheaper,but hey any clutch is better than non at the mo.its nice to here people like the engine install makes it all worth while.

on another subject spoke to dubsport today about a second hand g60 flywheel they quoted me £100+vat for one :shock: ,so i called local stealers and srewed them down to £125+vat for a brand spanking new one :lol: :lol:

£125!! And you said the local stealers where b******ds. :lol: :lol: :lol: Andy you can get a lightend and balance flywheel 8) from Ridgeway racing for £85, exchange though. :( :o

£125!! And you said the local stealers where b******ds. :lol: :lol: :lol: Andy you can get a lightend and balance flywheel 8) from Ridgeway racing for £85, exchange though. :( :o
yes i know allready looked into that but i didnt have one to exchange and cant realy aford to send this one at the mo.just want to get the c back on the road :cry:

right just built everything back up.degreased all the necessary parts,friction disc in the correct way ,new master/slave cylinders :D .took it for a test run and bugger me its sliping like a penguin down a ski slope :cry: .brought it back to garage put handbrake on and tryed to set off well it just dragged the c along so i went back out and it only seems to slip when you boot it at from the mid rev range :mad:

by the way the flywheel and clutch are g60 ones