Sign in to follow this  
krnau

fuel filter: "While we're there..." question

I'm replacing the fuel filter of my KR soon and I was wondering if there are any other accesible bits (such as pipes, seals or whatever) that should be replaced "while I'm there" too?

thanks in advance :)

The two times I have tried to do this the whole thing has been so rusty and corroded I've had to take the whole pump assembly off and re-furb it :brickwall:

I ended up disconnecting the rubber hoses to and from the tank and the front of the car and getting it on the bench. Carefully dismantled it (with the help of the dremel to get the rusted nuts apart :mad2: ) and then replaced all the seals, unions & fittings, and the little rubber bungs the pump hangs off. Assuming all the pipework is solid and the accumulator is still intact then you can do the whole thing for about £30-40, depending on what needs replacing.

Its worth having a good look at it to see what state it's in and seeing if you can crack the nuts on the filter before you actually need to do it (be careful because there is a lot of pressure in there). If you can then great. If not then you'll be needing a shopping list and some downtime to work on the pump off the car.

:cat:

hi, thanks for your reply. should I need any "special" tool like when doing brake calipers?

14v61k.jpg

or a normal one would be enough?