Sign in to follow this  
Purplebaghera

Advice on diagnostic tools,please.

Hi all. I have been wanting to get hold of some form of diagnostic reader, but am at a bit of a loss at which one to get,if any? Can anybody tell me if there are any handheld devices that can be used for OBD1 and OBD2,as I would like to read codes and delete service lights, etc from my two corrado's (16v & vr6) and also my wifes Audi A4 1.8t , I'm pretty sure this is a bit of a tall order as I get the impression OBD1 & OBD2 are quite different? if thats the case what does anybody use on there cars? or do I have to have a laptop and expensive program? I have seen that halfords have one for OBD2 made by Gunsen's for 140 pounds or so,is this a good one? would this do OBD1? would they have different type adaptors or something? Sorry to sound a bit thick on this subject,but have never really come across the difinitive answer. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Thanks. Vince. :)

Generally the software used is VAGCOM - which is free from the Rosstech website. Just install it on your laptop and get a cable from somewhere like ebay. Can be a headache to get working, but when it does it works fine. OR as ive seen on ebay again, you can get hand held code readers for a about 60 quid.

I personally think VAGCOM is the way to go but there are some good handheld ones out there...

Some good reviews in this months Car Mechanics magazine.

Yeah id agree with supercharged that VAGCOM is the way to go. As far as i know some of those code readers just tell you the code, you then have to look the code up in a manual to find out what the code means.

the code reader is a nice portable way to do it , btw where does it plug in?

on the ecu ?

Raddoman

Well that is a fair point. But i use it on a netbook so its small anyway.

If you lift the trim the gearstick gaiter is attached to, the trim with the 'Karmann' badge on, there will be a white and a black plug to connect it to the ECU.

Hi. Thanks for the replies. Have looked at the Rosstech site, slightly confusing, which system would I need to do my three cars? and why does it bang on about fees if its free? I guess I would also need two different adaptor leads for the corrados and the Audi , or perhaps that dual one as listed on ebay? what operating system is required(windows level) what problems are there to get it going? Also would it be possible to list any of the recommended handhelds from the magazine or is there a link for the article if its online? Sorry for the bucket load of questions :scratch: Thanks again . Vince. :)

Can anybody tell me if there are any handheld devices that can be used for OBD1 and OBD2,as I would like to read codes and delete service lights, etc from my two corrado's (16v & vr6) and also my wifes Audi A4 1.8t

I do a lot of fault code scanning for friends and family, from Corrados, MK3 to MK5 Golfs, MK7 Polos and assorted Audis etc and for that reason, I bought this lead from VAG-COM - http://www.ross-tech.com/Merchant2/merc ... ode=VAGCOM

It's been absolutely brilliant. The license is dongled into the lead itself, so you can download and install the software (free) as often as you like without having to relinquish and renew the license key each time.

It's not cheap, but it's probably the best 'one stop shop lead & software for all VAGs. It's great for changing things on the newer cars, such as the removing the 2 press locking on the keyfobs, cancelling the lane change auto indicating, stereo settings etc etc.

That's the same lead I've got - highly recommended. I got sick of the cheap nasty ebay leads falling over so bit the bullet and splashed out on the proper one.