Sign in to follow this  
rado2

coilover fitment

Quick question going to fit some ap coilovers in the next few days got new top mounts and bearings just need clarification that i dont need a spring compressor, cant find a thread that says one way or another pretty sure i dont just need someone who has done it to reassure me cheers in advance .

Unless you're wanting to do anything with the standard shocks, you should be ok to fit the coilovers without any compressors.

I done what your going to do and didnt need spring compressors , but a strong pair of hands might come in handy as you will need to push down on the wish bone or rear beam whilst at the same time pulling the old shock out or puting the new ones in.

Also a tip make shore you take note of how the top mounts fit in place.

Also if you have the VW suspension tool that will make things hell of alot easyer, if not you want one of thos 7mm caliper allen keys with the handle the right size socket ( sorry cant remember which size) and a pair of mole grips. Put the socket on the top mount and clamp it really well with the mole grips. and use the allen key to hold the coilover piston in place whilst you tighten the bolt up with the socket and mole grip combo.

unless you have access to a welder then you can just weld a bar to the socket 8)

Thank's for the advice , gonna give it a go now my minds been put at rest cheers guys :salute:

fitted my coilovers yesterday and my passenger side rear was a bitch, took us over 2 hours to remove the bolt that holds the suspension base into the trailing arm. the bolt is now knackered and i need to source a new one, anyone know a part number or what size and length bolt i need to replace this, my car is currently up on jacks and i wanted to go to santa pod today :(

well i managed to get one bolt undone today have had a nightmare trying to undo the passenger side front strut under the bonnet the one with the allen key top and 21 mm nut . just would not shift then the allen key has crack the housing and now i am :censored: cos cant get nut undone or hold the shaft still, any ideas anyone. All easy jobs on my rado turn into a nightmare with siezed nuts and bolts .

:epicfail:

well i managed to get one bolt undone today have had a nightmare trying to undo the passenger side front strut under the bonnet the one with the allen key top and 21 mm nut . just would not shift then the allen key has crack the housing and now i am :censored: cos cant get nut undone or hold the shaft still, any ideas anyone. All easy jobs on my rado turn into a nightmare with siezed nuts and bolts .

:epicfail:

If your not planning on using the old shock then use a pair of moles grips on the piston ( have to thread it past the coil) turn either the mole grips or the bolt on top to undo. Works best if you have two people, one to hold the mole grips other to turn the nut.

Hope that helps

Just buy a deepset spanner they're not expensive but makes it so easy to remove the struts nuts.

Also if you think about where you put the axle stands when jacking up the wishbones and rear beam especially should easily be allowed to drop enough. I remember fitting my first suspension on the rado and spent hours trying to push the rear beam down enough to remove and fit the struts, only to realise after if its put the axle stand under the bondy instead (using cardboard to protect underseal) the beam and wishbones too, dropped easily.

Just my little tip. :D

Just buy a deepset spanner they're not expensive but makes it so easy to remove the struts nuts.

Also if you think about where you put the axle stands when jacking up the wishbones and rear beam especially should easily be allowed to drop enough. I remember fitting my first suspension on the rado and spent hours trying to push the rear beam down enough to remove and fit the struts, only to realise after if its put the axle stand under the bondy instead (using cardboard to protect underseal) the beam and wishbones too, dropped easily.

Just my little tip. :D

Ya agree with the above as I done the same :epicfail:

For DIY strut work, I seriously recommend one of these - http://www.justoffbase.co.uk/Cordless-I ... ley-CP3001

Also has other uses such as removing wheel bolts with ease, over tightened spark plugs, seized wishbone bolts etc etc, even rusty gate post bolts and seized satellite dish brackets etc :lol: Basically, I haven't found any bolt on the car you would normally use an air gun for that this wrench won't undo :D

Thanks for all that advice will give this a go tomorrow evening hopfully with some success will let you know how i get on. That torque wrench thing looks awsome has nearly as much torque as my old 1.8t nice one kev must get one .