Sign in to follow this  
PeteL

VR6 Engine Starting Issue

Guys

I've done a search but its bit of a weird one.

Over the last few weeks my VR6 has become increasingly difficult to start in the mornings. Once its starts everything runs fine, and strangely it starts perfectly and fist time for the rest of the day.

It's almost like the battery is flat (the dash indicator lights, clock, mfa all flash when you try and start it) as it doesnt turn over but but you keep turning the key and eventually it turns over and starts, this can take up to a minute...it gets longer each morning. But the fact it does always start suggests the battery could be ok??

My fuel pump is a little noisey but had it checked and works fine, i can hear the relay clicking when i try and start it in the morn.

Also I had an alarm fitted a couple months ago so could this be slowly draining the battery overnight??

Any thoughts or anything else it could be as im worried the next morning ill be stranded?!

Bought a new battery anyway yesterday as the current one appears to be a good few years old and will fit this later.

Cheers and thanks in advance.

Pete

is your earth strap (from the battery to the chassis and onto the gearbox) white and powdery with some green bits on it instead of a nice clean copper coloured? Could be that your earth strap is going high resistance...

Simple check is to put a jumper cable (just one!) between the negative of the battery and where that strap attaches to the gearbox mount before you try to start it in the morning... if it starts perfectly, then you need a new earth strap... :)

Thanks chaps

Would these really cause the car to struggle in the first time in the morning but work ok at all other times?

Excuse the stupid question, im not very mechanically minded :wink:

Cheers

yeah, The earth strap gets cold and damp over night which will make it more resistive, these same conditions also effect the crank sensor... If it were the starter switch, I'd normally expect it to be awkward to start at random times, not just the first of the day...

Henny

The earth strap is aliitle green etc.

Where is the best place for a replacement?

Cheers

sounds similar to to the problem I had with mine and ended up being the ignition switch !

think it was about £25, just bit of a pain to change !

Henny

The earth strap is aliitle green etc.

Where is the best place for a replacement?

Cheers

Have you checked that's the cause by using a jumper cable as I suggested? If it's no better with a jumper cable between the battery -ve and the gearbox end of the strap, then that's not your problem... ;)

Best place to get a replacement is VW... they're not horrifically expensive - I think the last one I bought was about £30 inc VAT, but that was a few years ago now...

Just an update.

Still struggled using the jump lead. I have cleaned up the earth points and replaced the battery (as this was old) and all seems well...for now!

Any change I will post up.

Cheers