Sign in to follow this  
Steve Storm

Turning engine over without firing it up

As the temperature is warming I would like to get the Storm out of storage for the summer months. Before I start the car up properly, I would like to turn the engine over a couple of times without firing it up.

I've done this before for the last few years but can't remember which relay I need to pull out. I think it was the ECU relay or the Fuel Pump relay. Does anyone know which one it is and what number/location it is?

disconnect the plug from the coil pack, or the king lead from the dizzy (depending on which it has) much healthier than pulling relays out of fuse boxes... 8)

disconnect the plug from the coil pack, or the king lead from the dizzy (depending on which it has) much healthier than pulling relays out of fuse boxes... 8)

I disagree. :)

I'd rather not spray fuel into the cylinders unless i intended to start the car.

personally i'd go for the fuel relay. :)

Either way will have the desired effect.

grazie.

On a VR though the fuel pump relay is only energised when the ECU receives a signal from the crank sensor...

I'd disconnect this and the coil pack / or king lead - as Henny says far easier than removing the fuse box shelf / cover...

If you want to remove the fuel pump relay it's the bottom right one as you look at the box.

Thanks guys. I had taken the fuse box cover off before I stored the car so I removed the fuel pump relay, No. 167. Turned the key for a couple of seconds, plugged the relay back in and fired the car strait up with no hesitation. Not bad for being sat for six months in a bag.

Here's some photos of it coming out :D

climatronic wiring-Golf from May 01.pdfStorm 1.jpg[/attachment:17do0z9q]

2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdfStorm 2.jpg[/attachment:17do0z9q]