Sign in to follow this  
sexybourbon

another quick clay bar question

just wondering if this would be ok to do my car with its the first time im going to be using clay n there seems to be alot out there about it

here is the link

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MEGUIARS-QUIK-CLA ... 45e8601f0d

i was going to clean it and dry it then clay it and then i also have some zymol polish and some nanotech wax would that be an ok way to do it if not any tips as i really dont wanna mess my paint

thanks guys any help would be much apreiciated and any other products that might be worth getting would also be worth a mention although i havent got tons to spend on cleaning products lol

I used that clay bar for my first time a week or two ago and didnt have any problems with it. Cant compaire it to other bars but worked for me.

When doing every thing you mensioned I would do it in this order

Wash

Dry

Clay

Wash

Dry

Polish

Glos potection (if you have some)

Wax

Thats how I done mine and it came up a treat :D

Make shore you use lots of Lube :norty: with the clay bar

Have a read through here it might help you

http://the-corrado.net/.archive/forum/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=84791

thats spot on mate cheers there is alot of mention of different waxes and products tho which ones did you choose in the end ? i already have a megs drying cloth wich i must admit is awsome then as a wash and wax just some of that nanotech stuff , i will buy the clay bar mentioned above and i also have a tub of that nanotech wax do you think that will be good enough to get a good finish? and i also think i might have some autoglym protection if thats worth using oh and also for polish i have some of the zymol whats in the green bottle (smells great) but its quite dusty tbh, so quite a mix of product but im not sure what is good and bad lol

cheers swompy

No problem.

Every one has there preference in cleaning product so just use what you think is right for you.

But the Wax I used was the collinite 476, its great stuff. I put one coat on the car and 3 weeks later it was still beeding up after a wash.

great stuff im sure ill find out what is good and bad next saturday when i start claying it lol

cheers again oh by the way looked thru yor thread your c is v nice looks clean and tidy

great stuff im sure ill find out what is good and bad next saturday when i start claying it lol

cheers again oh by the way looked thru yor thread your c is v nice looks clean and tidy

Thanks mate, still a work in progress and by no means a minter :D

i don't bother drying the car between washing and claying, i just wash it then onto the clay, the water helps it slide

When doing every thing you mensioned I would do it in this order

Wash

Dry

Clay

Wash

Dry

Polish

Glos potection (if you have some)

Wax

Took the words out of my mouth :clap:

Cool i keep that in mind i ordered some collonit 476 of the bay last night it comes with three microfibre cloths and two applicators for 20 quid witch i thaught was ok and ill be of to halfords tonight to buy the megs clay bar and detailing kit

Im actually looking forward to seeing the out come of i all as the paint is rough to touch !! O i also orderd some rain x water repellent i got told it was good stuff

Now i just need to buy another pair of hands to get it all done in a day lol ?!!!

claying a car makes such a diffrence, you will have to get up early takes a while :grin:

Something I've never been sure on with claying... how firmly should you press the clay onto the paint, and what sort of direction / pattern should you do it in? Circular type? Or scrubbing like you were using a brillo pad or something?

I never dare clay a car for fear of doing some longer term damage to the paint!

i always use a Circular motion, if you use plenty of speed detailer, you dont need to press to hard

claying a car makes such a diffrence, you will have to get up early takes a while :grin:

You can say that again.

When I done mine I started at 10am and finished at about 6.30pm with a hour or so break for lunch :shock:

Something I've never been sure on with claying... how firmly should you press the clay onto the paint, and what sort of direction / pattern should you do it in? Circular type? Or scrubbing like you were using a brillo pad or something?

I never dare clay a car for fear of doing some longer term damage to the paint!

I've been apprehensive in the past, but have invested in the Megs starter kit, so i'm gonna attack mine soon.

Have a look on Youtube Jim, there are plenty of how-to vids, from the guys at Megs. Looks a piece of p1ss to be honest, and the results look (and sound) amazing.

When the guy ran his hand across the panel you could actually HEAR the difference on the section he had clayed over the section he hadn't, and the muck left on the clay was astonishing. Another couple of passes and the panel (and the clay) were completely clean, and silent when he ran his hand across the paint. 8)

Plenty of lube from the detailing spray, and very little pressure on the clay seems to be the way forward...

Yea i think ill be getting up early lol and i have just watched a vid on youtube and it does seem very easy plenty of loooob and light with the clay seem the best way and jim if you a bit scared of the out come ill take some before and after pics of mine so you can see what it turns out like im a complete novice at all this so will be good to see if i get it right lol

Hoping all my kits arrived by this weekend, spent about £130 on cleaning kit in tha last 2 days, so hoping the sodding weather holds out!

Will post up some results of the clay, maybe try and get a video captured...

Yea iv spent a bit coming up to the summer spesh with it being my new car lol and yea maybe tell us what was in your kit and what worked well and maybe what wasnt lol

Yea iv spent a bit coming up to the summer spesh with it being my new car lol and yea maybe tell us what was in your kit and what worked well and maybe what wasnt lol

will do mate, hopefully have an update after this weekend...

I've got some pics of the water beeding up on the colinite 476 wax after 3 weeks and just one application and just a quick rub down. Which I shell post later

Here are the pics as promised

This is 3 weeks after I clayed, polished, glossed and waxed the car, with only one coat of Colinite 476 wax.

Before the wash

100426_134406.jpg

100426_134419.jpg

After a pressure wash

100426_140432.jpg

100426_140455.jpg

100426_140520.jpg

After a rub down and rinse

I like this pic as you can see the pearl effect in action :dorky:

100426_142345.jpg

100426_142359.jpg

final results

100426_144402.jpg

100426_144433.jpg

Definatly a good wax to use

Iv been reading alot about all the cleaning products out there and the only difference i think is that 915 is for darker colours but alot of people have said they are just as good as each other

I found a good product last nite for all the plastic bits and bobs asweal called black wow wich looks good buts its expensive but aldo supposed to last a long time ie one bottle over a year or more !!